Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: How many virtual desktops do you use?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll

24 21.62%

18 16.22%

6 5.41%

45 40.54%

2 1.80%

5 4.50%

0 0%

5 4.50%
  • 9+

6 5.41%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Hiya, Sitting at work today i was thinking i have a lot more virtual desktops configured in X than those around me. (virtual desktops being those thing where you click ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

How Many Virtual Desktop Screens do you use?

Hiya,

Sitting at work today i was thinking i have a lot more virtual desktops configured in X than those around me. (virtual desktops being those thing where you click 1 - x? for a different "desktop").

I have 6 Virtual desktops running at work, all of which are activly used:

1) C - for any C program i am working on (got 2 on the go here atm, makefiles, and shells for execution)
    2) Email - doesnt need explaining, also have a work ticketing system open as well.
    3) Web - mostly google and livedocs.macromedia.com (+this site of course)
    4) Coldfusion- Currently working on the companies order tracking interface. Work remotly via SSH, so 6 shells and a browser.
    5) SQL - connections to the 5 or so different databases i need to use for different projects.
    6) CFX/PHP - currently learning PHP for a new project, also doing some CFX work here, (coldfusion C++ extensions).

How many desktops do you use? Does anyone use more V desktops than this? what are they used for?

Jason

I haven't been using linux long so I'm still not used to that. I only use one right now...

I just use one desktop, but I use quite a few of my VCs for various things (and it's great with framebuffer set up )
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I often use 4 virtual desktops.

One for IRC, another one for mozilla and music, one for programming and one for running the program i just made.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I run only one. Due more to habit and I can open as many apps as I choose in it so why open more desktops?

So since I'm the proud nOOb aroungd these parts, what adavantage is there to more than one? The down side being resources being used and "where my stuff or thingy?".
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    I run only one. Due more to habit and I can open as many apps as I choose in it so why open more desktops?

So since I'm the proud nOOb aroungd these parts, what adavantage is there to more than one? The down side being resources being used and "where my stuff or thingy?".
    If i had all of my open applications on one desktop, i would spend more time trying to locate a particular window than i would spend working.

For me, structuring my applications inside different virtual desktops allows me to have many things running and locate things easily.

Jason

But don't the programs you have running in other desktops still show up on the taskbar and in your task list when you ALT+TAB in every VD?

Linux Guru
    No.

In KDE, click on a free space of the taskbar where window icons normally appear, and choose "configure panel". Choose "taskbar" from the left, then untick "show windows from all desktops" on the right.

Apply, Ok, job done

Jason

Hehe...there's a case of me being lazy and not trying to figure it out.

i jst set up to have 4 Vdesktops and it is really nice. so much easier to find stuff then searching thru windows.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast