Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I saw this today and wonder if anybody has used it? http://ww2.nero.com/us/NeroLINUX.html Jeremy...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Nero on Linux?

I saw this today and wonder if anybody has used it?

http://ww2.nero.com/us/NeroLINUX.html

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

I saw that this weekend. Although I think it's a good sign that companies like Nero consider Linux worthy of a commercial product, they're going to have a hard time convincing the Linux users who already have excellent burning utilities like K3B that they should pay money for essentially the same product with a different name (which may or may not work as well as its free competitor).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    I Agree; competing with k3b will be hard. But like you siad, it's impressive that companies are dedicating resourced to Linux development.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

To add to that, however, I think there is certainly money to be made with products that *don't* have a free competitor, such as something like CyberLink's PowerDVD software. Sure, technically Xine or MPlayer can do encrypted DVDs, but the technology that allows them to do this is suspect (if not blatantly illegal, as in the USA). It would be nice to have a product I could just go out and buy that would solve this problem.

CyberLink has already released PowerDVD with TurboLinux 10F; I hope they'll consider moving to a more distro-neutral approach in the future.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

the only catch is you have to have a full version of Nero 6 ultra edition to download it and you have to register the nero 6 with them. which if you are only a linux user and want to use nero you have to buy a full windows version then download the linux version. they should atleast give you the option of buying it which i didnt see.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Well, there's a catch I didn't see. Yes, it is silly to expect someone wanting to buy Nero for Linux to buy it for Windows and fill out a form. That's like asking a Mac OS X user to buy MS Office for Windows and then "download" the OS X version. haha.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

lol
    Blog

I just realized the irony of my own comment. One of my favorite game companies already does this (id Software). You must buy the MS Windows version of Doom 3 and then download the Linux client for it.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

agreed that it is a rather silly way to have to purchase the product. But the general principle of a world recognised commercial software vendor developing its flagship application for Linux can surely only be a positive step forward for Linux
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I just realized the irony of my own comment. One of my favorite game companies already does this (id Software). You must buy the MS Windows version of Doom 3 and then download the Linux client for it.
    with UT 2004 you got the linux client on the same disk now thats what i would like to see more of. one day itll happen. the gaming companies will have linux clients on the same disk as windows and mac. thats why i dont like cadega because it doesnt pressure gaming companies to get a linux client availiable.
    Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast