Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Which do you connect to the internet through?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cable

36 39.13%
  • DSL

45 48.91%
  • Dial up

9 9.78%
  • Other

2 2.17%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
ADSL 1.5mbps/384kbps SBC Chicagoland area currently 1 lan, 3 wireless connections the service has been consistently reliable - when its down I just use my neighbor's...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ADSL 1.5mbps/384kbps SBC Chicagoland area

currently 1 lan, 3 wireless connections

the service has been consistently reliable - when its down I just use my neighbor's

Linux Newbie
    You require your local phone hub to be upgraded in your town. I remember in my friends village they had a web site which villagers signed a partition to get BT (British Telecom) to upgrade the phone hub so they could get broadband. It worked and they got it upgraded before the scheduled date.

Cable is a lot rarer than DSL in the UK, infact I don't know a single person who has cable, mainly because cable connetion still doesn't have nationwide coverage. Nearly everyone has ADSL, most commonly 1mbps down and 256kbps up or 512kbps down and 256kbps up. This is getting quite cheap and so more popular.

The main difference between SDSL and ADSL is that as you get the same up and down speeds for SDSL, you lose the use of your phone requiring a second line. This is why it is only used by companies hosting something.

The benefit of DSL over Cable is that you have a guarenteed bandwidth no matter how many people are online, whereas cable speeds can drop when there are a large number of users.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Linux Newbie
    DSL. Its what I was able to afford at the time. Although when I get a chance I will be switching to cable and their 3MB service.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7