Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Most people who ***** about how jerky GNU/Linux are often people who think that everybody will help them with everyday things and get some "RTFM" in reply....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Most people who ***** about how jerky GNU/Linux are often people who think that everybody will help them with everyday things and get some "RTFM" in reply.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriss
    Most people who ***** about how jerky GNU/Linux are often people who think that everybody will help them with everyday things and get some "RTFM" in reply.
    That is true, i have met some jerky Linux users on IRC and other chat programs where the individual asks a very simple and unassuming question, and then gets ripped a new one for asking such a "noob" question and then are followed to be told to RTFM. Honestly, that pisses me off and makes me want to drop kick someone. If someone is willing to openly ask a question on either a chat program or forum, then it took some cahonays to do so ... to put themself out there like that and not worry about being considered a "noob". It ticks me off to think that those people try to act like they were never new to Linux, and *gasps* Heaven forbid a former Windows user who had to start off in Linux like everyone else. If i wanted that kind of treatment, i would have stuck with the Windows nonsense. Sorry, but thats the end of my rant for right now.
    -QD
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Linux Engineer
    Linux community nice & tolerant? Ye gods wassa world comin' to!

</lights blue touch paper and runs>

If Linux was a car...

M: Hey Pete, Can you help me put a radio in my Debian?

P: You're an Idiot, RTFM!

M: I need more help than that.

P: You're an idiot! I did a Google search. It's in the page
    referenced by the footnote in the 37th hit. If I could find
    it, so can you.

GS: (good Samaritan) You need to rebuild the engine to add a
    radio.

M: Rebuild the engine?

P: You're an idiot!

GS: There's a how-to. It's written for a "Hat", but it's
    mostly correct except that engine is in the rear. It's
    translated from German, but they did a pretty good job. It'll
    tell you to hook the radio to the red and black wires, but
    since you've got a Debian, there won't be any red and black
    wires. And you still need to write the radio driver. Don't
    forget to regrind the camshaft. If you don't, you'll get an
    error message that you don't have permission to change the
    tire pressure, but it's the camshaft. You'll need a lot of
    tools, but you can get them for free. Most of them come with
    instructions... about 900 pages in all. Read 'em all carefully
    and understand 'em before you start. Should be able to figure
    it all out in a couple of months.

[MUCH LATER...]

M: Hey Pete, I didn't get all the stuff I needed to rebuild my
    engine. Can I borrow your Drake again?

P: The wife has the Drake, but you can borrow the Hat.

M: This is different. Where's the steering wheel?

P: That dashboard was really using a lot of gas. This has what
    is called a CLI. Just type CTRL-L to go left and CTRL-R to go
    right.

M: What about the gas and brakes?

P: That's all combined into a single speed number. Just type
    ps | grep speed. The headings are in Klingon, but the third
    number is the one you want. Just divide by the speed of light
    to get meters/second. You'll have to parse it out, calculate
    the new speed and use the nice function to change the priority
    of the process. That changes the speed. If you had just read
    the manpage, I wouldn't have had to tell you all that.

M: Which manpage?....never mind... What if I need to stop in a
    hurry?

P: Gotcha covered. There's a script for panic stops. Just type
    PanicStop-3.8.63278665-HAT when=now. It will ask you for a
    password. Enter the password and hang on cause you're gonna
    stop real quick. I'm really proud of the deceleration
    optimization routine. Be careful typing, it's case sensitive.
    If it gives you a cryptic error message and doesn't stop, it's
    probably because you forgot to add yourself to the brakes
    group. It's all in the manpage.

M: Which manpage?....never mind...

[MUCH, MUCH LATER....]

M: I wish I hadn't sold my Gates. At least I could drive it to
    town and pick up Granny....

P: You're an idiot!.....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    LOL!! nice one Chris. I'll have to print that out when i get home.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Just Joined!
    >M: What about the gas and brakes?
    >
    >P: That's all combined into a single speed number. Just type
    >ps | grep speed. The headings are in Klingon, but the third
    >number is the one you want. Just divide by the speed of light
    >to get meters/second.

The gas and brake pedals are used to give you (meters/second)^2?

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Just Joined!
    Nice is good; mean is bad!

I think that sometimes the Linux community comes off as overenthusiastic because it has a great product. It's easy to be seen as a jerk when you're right most of the time. It's hard not to gloat when the virus filled; glitch-prone; frustration-monster MS world is crying about the latest MS trauma... while at the same time they belittle the people that use a superior O/S and push them to the outer edges of the geek universe.

In general, the community that supports Linux needs to remember that the vast majority of MS users get some measure of satisfaction out of their MS machines. It may not be perfect, but it's easy to use and it's familiar. Sure it freezes for no apparent reason... sure it has a way of leaving you hanging when you really need it to be running... but it's like an old friend that drinks too much and does stupid things. No, I don't mean that it hits you up for money when it's hurting (though it might). I mean that it does just enough for you to believe that it's still your friend.

A bit like an abusive relationship when you're using MS. No need to be nasty to them. They have enough problems on their own.

Just Joined!
    I have spent a fair amount of time using another website's Linux forums, and been really disappointed with the people's attitudes.

If for instance someone asked "why does Linux run slower than Windows on my PC?" he often wouldn't get a reasoned and helpful reply telling him what could be causing his Linux to run slow or any helpful tips on how to speed it up, he would generally be told to "go back to Windows dickhead" or ammusingly "It isn't" :o

If he were to ask "Why is installing things is so hard in Linux?" he wouldn't get a nice explaination of how Linux is based on packages whereas Windows just installs programs and have the advantages/disadvantages of both systems explained, he would simply be told that if he can't be bothered learning how to install things in Linux he should "go back to Windows"

While there were many kind helpful posters, there was a large group who..

A. Considered newbies to be the scum of the Earth.

B. Couldn't handle critisism of Linux and would turn every thread into the same old Windows vs Linux topic.

I got fed up of the flameing of newbies, I got fed up with the 'Linux is perfect, Windows is crap' attitude, and I was disappointed to find the "Friendly and helpful" Linux community to be a myth...

However, just tonight I stumbled across this site and after a couple of hours browsing have had my opinion of the Linux community turned around, I think I'll spend a fair bit of time here..

GROUP HUG!!

I got fed up of the flameing of newbies, I got fed up with the 'Linux is perfect, Windows is crap' attitude, and I was disappointed to find the "Friendly and helpful" Linux community to be a myth...
    Pleased you like this forum - I'm also not into this binary argument about Windows being bad/Linux good. It reminds me of 'Animal Farm'. "Two legs good, four legs bad". Well, we all know that nothing is perfect.

If you experienced a forum such as the one you described, then IMHO that's not a community - just a place for people to vent their hang-ups. I've been there - I call them chat rooms of the Yahoo type.

Flaming newbies? What a way to build a community... No wonder women are leaving computing in droves - It would put me off as well, though I would continue to use Linux
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Ok, that last post of mine might have been a bit over the top, they weren't that bad. There were many helpful replies, and newbies weren't shot down every time they said something dumb, but there was a VERY low tolerance level and some of them were very unhelpful.

Hope I don't get in trouble on their site

Quote Originally Posted by Francis
    Ok, that last post of mine might have been a bit over the top, they weren't that bad.
    Pleased to hear they weren't so bad. There is a kind of cultural thing amongst 'hackers' where they deliberately slap newbies down to 'encourage' independence'. A sort of 'tough love' thing - Sometimes this takes the form of very brief replies to questions, like:

'Try ls -al' or 'Maybe' or RTFM etc... I'm not sure about those. I think you're meant to feel grateful that the Gods have grunted at you, but I always visualise some spotty little dweeb with a pizza and a can of Sprite, and then the Gods seem a lot less impressive Even if they do know a lot more than me
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast