Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
i really dont understand how some ppl can say the linux community is full of jerks. i have never met a jerk in the linux community yet. maybe im not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

the linux community

i really dont understand how some ppl can say the linux community is full of jerks. i have never met a jerk in the linux community yet. maybe im not on the right forums. i dont know. but everyone i have ever met has been really cool. i dont remember where i read an artical about some guy that was jst goin off about how much he hated the linux community it was weird.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux User
    There's no jerks here in our sub-community!
    Thanks to everyone for making this such an enjoyable hang-out, and the best linux forums on the net!

\"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    people who think the linux community is full of jerks have probably either tried linux and not succeeded and are gelous on a sub concious or even concious level. OR they managed to install linux and then someone took the piss and told them they could fix they box with rm -r /* and they belived them.

so either way, just take no notice

I have to agree with coppertop on this one, people here seem nice and friendly. wow, we're such nice people

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i know what you mean i will have to find that but i love it here on this forum there are so many knowlegable ppl.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

IMHO, the Linux/GNU community is one of the best parts. I can go to a forum and post a question and get answers and suggestions to fix my problem. You don't see those kind of community bonds and helpfulness much over such a large and diverse population.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I have found that forums reflect the society norms of behavior of the location of the user. There are some very nice people and some not so nice. The larger number of users on the board the more people that are less than nice are going to show up. No stopping it, just working with them once they show there cards.

So I don't find the linux community any less or more friendly as long as you compare forums of equal size. People are people no matter where you are.

Just my thoughts,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Agree any forum or group can get plauged by someone/s who is a pain. But like you said its just trying to learn how to handle them without a fight. And also helping at the same time

Linux Guru

Re: the linux community

Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    i read an artical about some guy that was jst goin off about how much he hated the linux community
    Was that guy Bill Gates by any chance?

IMO, only 3 types of people would dislike the linux community:
    1) Those who work for Microsoft
    2) Those who do not understand the Linux Community
    3) Those who find Microsoft Outlook Express confusing.

hehehe..

Jason

I think you sorta lost me on that last one...but anyway. From what I have seen, the linux community is nicer in some ways. It's much easier to get help, because no one is really guarding secrets or anything. With windows, only microsoft knows how it really works and has seen the source code. The fact that linux is open source means you get lots of people who know very well exactly how it works, and most of them don't mind helping of problems. And what you can't find out from people is probably somewhere in the extensive documentation. Having been in the windows community for most of my life, and now seeing the linux community, I like the linux community.

1) Those who work for Microsoft
    i dont beleive this one but i dont really know anyone that works for microsoft. i have tryed to get into that place. it really dont want to have to sell out to microsoft but the money is awsome. and if i get offered a position i wont be passing it up. but im sure i will never get a programming job there its hard as hell to get in there. but jst cause you work there doesnt mean you can support the open source community i will keep running linux on my computers even if i work there. but again thats jst a dream to get rich, too.

but other then that i completely agree the communtiy is awsome. hopefully i will never run into one of those ppl that are jerks in the community.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast