Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 30 of 30
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel If you bought a PC to play games (like many people I know) you made a mistake because it's not for that. You should buy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #21
    Linux Enthusiast carlosponti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    560

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel
    If you bought a PC to play games (like many people I know) you made a mistake because it's not for that. You should buy Play station.
    considering for the longest time consoles were not very good compared to the PC i often bought a PC for gaming. i am a hardcore gamer from way back. a pc if for what you make it useful in, if not then what is it for? will you state that its for programming or productivity. sometimes a PC can be just for entertainment. i do everything from a PC. the gaming consoles have gotten better however i will not never buy one. if i have performance problems i can not upgrade components to make it better. Now, i use linux because i do not favor M$ any longer. i can deal with crappy software if it means that the software isnt being used as a ploy to lock me into that companies software. though i get better useability with linux aside from gaming nativly not being as feverishly marketed and supported as in a Winblows OS.




    BTW the games are DESIGNED in linux alot of times. the engines are programmed and designed on a linux OS and ported to windows and mac. there should be no excuse that they cant port thier games to linux. however support is another issue. all distros are not the same. installs do not install to the same place everytime. and packages may not be installed from one distro to the next.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

  2. #22
    Banned Richard_The_Lionhearted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Here, where else?
    Posts
    379
    I'm working right now on game programming under linux and I can say that there are alot of good games for linux but they are not commercial. For example you probably won't find many if any at a local gaming store but you can download hundreds online for free that are just as good as games they have running on Windows.

  3. #23
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7
    ...did you say Doom 3 for linux?? Im a linux newbie etc etc..I have doom3 on my (Dare I say it, Win box) but would love to try it on linux...??

    tia

    -Paul

  4. #24
    Banned Richard_The_Lionhearted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Here, where else?
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by pcooklin
    ...did you say Doom 3 for linux?? Im a linux newbie etc etc..I have doom3 on my (Dare I say it, Win box) but would love to try it on linux...??

    tia

    -Paul
    Check this out. It might help.

  5. #25
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    104

    Re: is linux really this good?

    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper8896
    if linux is so good how can companys make most software especially games for mac and windows.
    "My OS has more games than yours" is not a very good way to judge an operating system.

    some people may argue that windows is very common on most computers but why is there so much for mac.
    Simple: marketing. Windows XP is sold by one company with one of the best marketing departments in the world. Apple's Macintosh OS X is sold by one company with another one of the best marketing departments in the world.

    Linux is not sold by any one company, nor can it be, and it has an awful lot of rich people campaigning against it.
    i didnt say my os has more games than yours so b4 u start acusing me of anything can u at least read what i posted.

  6. #26
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7
    thanks! I'll let you know how I get on....do you know much about linux/win networking? Ive managed to get the network to see my win and linux boxes...Im on fedora 3, kde..however, it only seems to see my win box when using gnome...any thoughts?

    TIA

  7. #27
    hal
    hal is offline
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    69
    try LinNeighborhood. use it to mount disks from win machines, ie.

  8. #28
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    205
    Yes Id Software released a Installer for linux and doom 3, I daresay it's hard, but probably out preforms cedega's emulation.

  9. #29
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496

    Re: is linux really this good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper8896
    i didnt say my os has more games than yours so b4 u start acusing me of anything can u at least read what i posted.
    Apparently you misinterpreted my response there. That was not meant as a rebuttal to what I thought you said, just an observation on my part.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  10. #30
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeMonster
    Yes Id Software released a Installer for linux and doom 3, I daresay it's hard, but probably out preforms cedega's emulation.
    There actually *used* to be a better installer that took Id's installer and wrapped it into a Loki script, which actually copied the .PAK files from the discs for you (something id's installer makes you do by hand), but Id sent a cease and desist... *sigh*

    And yes, a native client will always perform better than an emulated one.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •