Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
if linux is so good how can companys make most software especially games for mac and windows. some people may argue that windows is very common on most computers but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

is linux really this good?

if linux is so good how can companys make most software especially games for mac and windows. some people may argue that windows is very common on most computers but why is there so much for mac.

Just Joined!
    You can play in linux, there are ports of many games, but linux is not meant to play. Infact the software house Loki which made many ports of games to linux has closed, as noone bothered to buy them.

Macs are more common than people think, first of all, and they have been around for a long time - when most people think of desktop computing, they think of Windows and Mac. Second, while Mac is a niche market, it is primarily an affluent niche market that does not mind spending money on hardware and software; piracy is nearly nonexistant in the Mac world. Third, Apple buyers buy almost exclusively for desktop use, while many in the corporate world believe that linux is a server OS used only by geeks; that perception is slowly changing.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by debian_user
    You can play in linux, there are ports of many games, but linux is not meant to play. Infact the software house Loki which made many ports of games to linux has closed, as noone bothered to buy them.
    i wish companies would port them on the same disks with windows and mac. there is no reason they cant since most games are created on linux initially. from what i understood anyhow. ID is doing that. now if other companies would do the same. i would actually buy the games if that were the case. i hate being on windows for games. I might end up getting a mini mac if the game companies dont get thier heads out of the "Dark Place". i like my slackware system. i have even gotten my GF to use it when she has to look something up on the internet at my house.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Re: is linux really this good?

Quote Originally Posted by Viper8896
    if linux is so good how can companys make most software especially games for mac and windows. some people may argue that windows is very common on most computers but why is there so much for mac.
    I am shocked at how much there is for Linux. I am amazed at all the great software being produced for linux for non-profit.
    I am also amazed at how stable Linux is for the amount of money I paid for it. $40 slackware 10. vrs $300 Xp Pro. I have had more problems with freezing and just wierd anomilies with Xp then I have with slackware. I think if I couldn't have Linux I would choose Mac over M$ anyday. If XP Pro was $40 would use it as a second OS.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

if linux is so good how can companys make most software especially games for mac and windows.
    "My OS has more games than yours" is not a very good way to judge an operating system.

some people may argue that windows is very common on most computers but why is there so much for mac.
    Simple: marketing. Windows XP is sold by one company with one of the best marketing departments in the world. Apple's Macintosh OS X is sold by one company with another one of the best marketing departments in the world.

Linux is not sold by any one company, nor can it be, and it has an awful lot of rich people campaigning against it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

i think the model behind linux is better that what has been introduced by M$ and Apple. one os many companies selling it. you have the choice which company you go with and the software still works across all the companies. that way software makers wouldnt need to worry about the platform they are coding for just what the program does. make for better software truthfully.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    i think the model behind linux is better that what has been introduced by M$ and Apple.
    Perhaps, but since when have companies gone for what makes sense? They go for the flashy marketing gizmos like "Where do you want to go today?" or dancing idiots like Steve Ballmer.

one os many companies selling it. you have the choice which company you go with and the software still works across all the companies. that way software makers wouldnt need to worry about the platform they are coding for just what the program does. make for better software truthfully.
    One OS, many companies, zero choice. I'm not of the mind to think that Linux should replace all other OSes. Competition for OSes is a good thing, as long as any one side doesn't have too much power or market share (like MS has now). Software doesn't always work between distros today, thanks to modified libraries (Xandros, Linspire) and a general lack of adherence to standards (why doesn't Slackware use runlevel 5? why do some distros install everything into /opt/?).

Should there become a true Linux OS standard (with required standard libraries, locations for files, naming conventions for files, etc), then portability would indeed be guaranteed. As the market is today, this is not the case.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

hopefully the standards will be the next to come along. linspire is a boogered up linux i was never impressed with it. i wish that a user distro would always run with init 5 and a server or enterprise edition would come default in 4. i think it would make sense that way.
    Blog

One word..........MONEY.

1.Most people that use linux didn't pay for it and typically use other open source software.(therefor gaming company's don't want to use it because they want you're money)

2. Microsoft and Apple have more people using their products than linux.

3.Most linux users are tech people(for right now)

4.linux hasn't been around as long as Windoze or Mac and therefor is less understood by game developers.

5.Most Windoze users are near brain dead and need something to preoccupy their time.

6.There are alot of games for linux it's just that you have to know where to get them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast