Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
A clever trap techieMoe.. In the meantime I'll just keep running from robots.....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

A clever trap techieMoe..
    In the meantime I'll just keep running from robots..
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();

Just Joined!

HI THERE !

Greetings to everybody, I'm a real linux newbie (winxp guru [!] - and this is a regret, not excuse)
    I hope to learn from you all, I'm converted since this February, so I apologize in advance for my future lame questions regarding linux
    [alx]

Just Joined!
    Greetings to everybody, I'm a real linux newbie (winxp guru [!] - and this is a regret, not excuse) Embarassed
    I hope to learn from you all, I'm converted since this February, so I apologize in advance for my future lame questions regarding linu

converted! Linux is not a religion you now...LOL..nah im joking..are u totally converted to linux?its mean you have no partition with windows(or have windows in different machine)?can u survive that?no games?no photoshop? i am not a linux hater but im just asking? coz my friend always says that linux is for technical use and not for entertainment.

use your PC! not PC use you...USE LINUX!

Just Joined!

hello...Im a newbie

Hi,

I guess we all have to write these words at some point - Hi, Im a newbie - well, there's mine. Im on Fedora 3, KDE and enjoying it..had some *fun* getting the network up and running but it seems ok finally using Samba, more by luck and perseverance than skill...Im using the cross over app too..its OK, but it doesnt support as many programs as I would have liked..

Now for the lame questions: Is it me or is Linuz really difficult to install new apps' on? I download either a RPM or a compressed file..I then uncompress it and try to get the thing to install..I know there's certain codes I need to wrote like ./install or somethime..whats the standard procedure to install a program? Does it need to be put in specific dir or can it be installed anywhere....any help welcomed.

TIA

-Paul

Re: hello...Im a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by pcooklin
    whats the standard procedure to install a program? Does it need to be put in specific dir or can it be installed anywhere....any help welcomed.
    ./configure
    su
    your uncrackable password!
    make && make install && make clean

If you type ./configure --help you should get a list of other options (which you will mostly not need). It's usually easier to install RPMs/binaries. Your software might be a few nanoseconds slower though

Many packages install by default to /usr/local/whatever... This can be confusing and you might prefer /usr/bin /usr/lib etc...
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

installing

OK..Im trying to get some form of avi player installed...Im trying DivX4linux...I open the folder and then go to terminal which takes me to the same dir...I then type su and then after loggin in, I type ./configure...to which it says No such file or directory..so I look at the files and have just seen there is no configure file..there is however a install.sh file..so I typed ./install.sh and its now sitting there...what have I missed with installing programs with linux..this cant be this difficult otherwise so many people wouldnt us it..

tia

-Paul

Re: installing

there is however a install.sh file..so I typed ./install.sh and its now sitting there
    Yep, that's another option. Someone has written a shell script, so no need to ./configure etc.

Just sitting there? It's either installed or hung ... Bugs happen! One way to check if something has installed is just to type - man nameofpackage. If the manuals installed, then the software should have done too.

You could - as root - search for the packages. I usually do this in a fairly messy way... which works for me:

find / -name *name_of_package* -print

The .sh extention refers to the 'Shell' as opposed to Bash (Bourne Again SHell)...

There are other install options, but I don't use them ... yet
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Banned
    hey and welcome all, have fun

Just Joined!
    what did you mean by this? make && make install && make clean

Whats the commands for that...when do I use it?

thanks

what did you mean by this? make && make install && make clean
    Whats the commands for that...when do I use it?
    thanks
    That's for when you install from source code. The && just means 'and'. You could just go.

./configure
    make
    make install
    make clean

Which checks that your code is okay to install, compiles it, installs it and cleans up any stray files. If you're new to Linux this can be daunting. You need to be root to make etc., as files will be installed to directories which could be a security risk if your system had wider access from the outside world. Geddit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast