Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
OK..thank you everyone for your help... I can see linux has some good features and strengths but it seems to lack an intuitive installer interface, why is that? I mean, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installers

OK..thank you everyone for your help...

I can see linux has some good features and strengths but it seems to lack an intuitive installer interface, why is that? I mean, with windows (dare I speak that word?) its very easy to install new programs through the automated setup program, why hasnt anyone created one for Linux other than the YUM, which, I understand is only good for retrieving files registered with third party sites...going to the command line every time we need to install a file Im sure to you lot seems perfectly normal but to a newbie and windows user, it seems quite long-winded...any thoughts?

-Paul

Just Joined!

dvd and avi

...also, while I have your knowledge to hand - Im trying to get linux to play a downloaded avi movie..I then need to burn it to dvd...I have crossover installed which works to a degree but with Nero, it hasnt found my 2 dvd and cd disks..whats the easiest and best app' for viewing avi movies and also to then burn them to dvd? many thanks.

-Paul

Just Joined!
    ...is it ok to use the root account as your main account? I do have another account but as root gets more privelages, is it ok to make that the default or is there somethine Ive missed?

Thanks.

Paul

Yum isn't the only package manager in linux; there are a LOT of them (which some would say is a weakness). mplayer (with win32codecs installed) will play your .avi files. K3B is by far the best app you could use to burn DVDs in linux.

DO NOT RUN AS ROOT!!!!!!! IT WOULD MAKE YOUR MACHINE A SECURITY NIGHTMARE!!!!!!
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    converted! Linux is not a religion you now...LOL..nah im joking..are u totally converted to linux?its mean you have no partition with windows(or have windows in different machine)?can u survive that?no games?no photoshop? i am not a linux hater but im just asking? coz my friend always says that linux is for technical use and not for entertainment.

use your PC! not PC use you...USE LINUX![/quote]

You got me ... of course i'm keeping still the ntfs but the reason is simply that I'm a beginner in linux and until I'll be able to solve all the hardware config and use my full rig -not just a part of it - I'm forced to keep it. Because I have to use the PC every day, no matter how lame I am in linux [yet]

Just Joined!

error

OK..thanks for that. Can you tell me of any other YUM type apps please?
    Im having trouble installing the 2 apps you recommended..I'll try again and write down the error codes if that helps.

TIA
    -Paul

Linux Newbie
    hi
    :D
    Portability is for people who cannot programme

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3