Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Does anyone think that the Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 - Deluxe Edition is worth buying?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 - Deluxe Edition

Does anyone think that the Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 - Deluxe Edition is worth buying?

I certainly thought Xandros 2.5 Deluxe was worth buying (so I bought it). Haven't tried 3.0 yet, but I imagine it's an improvement.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

so you don't regret buying 2.5?

Also how much did you pay for 2.5? 3.0 is 89.00.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I don't really think it would be worth paying for. You don't get many more extra benefits except for having Crossover Office. But you could always just buy that on your own or if you're one of those download-whatever-I-can-pay-for-what-I-have-to types then you can download it off of Limewire or whatever. BTW really off topic but did you know you can download Limewire PRO off of Limewire? (i was curious one day). i guess it can't really be controlled because limewire uses gnutella (i don't know much about that so excuse me if i'm misinformed) but i thought it was pretty ironical.

Linux Newbie
    You can get Limewire Pro off bittorrent aswell it's piss easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted
    so you don't regret buying 2.5?

Also how much did you pay for 2.5? 3.0 is 89.00.
    I don't regret buying 2.5 at all. I paid $89USD for it. At the time I bought it I needed a Linux distro that would install the ATI 3D drivers by itself, because all my attempts at doing so had failed miserably. The card I had has since died, and I replaced it with an Nvidia, so that's no longer an issue, but I still loved every minute I spent with Xandros.

It's based on Debian, and version 3 (from what I've read on their forums) won't die if you pull packages down using apt, which was something you had to worry about in 2.5. CrossOver is definitely one of the main points as well, so if you don't need to run MS Orifice, Photoshop, or Dreamweaver, then you may want to consider just downloading Xandros OCE 3 or buying the Standard edition for half price.

BTW - to the fellows discussing Limewire, as far as I know Limewire Pro is a paid product, and any discussion about pirating software on this forum is forbidden by the forum rules. I wouldn't carrry that discussion any further. Just FYI.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    I use Xandros 3 Deluxe and it works flawlessly. I heavily use the apt-get command from console and the distro is very stable. The reason I bought this distro is 'cause I have an ATi video card and 'cause I like debian and debian-based distros.

Linux Engineer
    You might want to take a look here at OSDIR's screenshots: http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...e=247&slide=30

Myself, I use MEPIS for the moment, which is also debian-based, and I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Myself, I use MEPIS for the moment, which is also debian-based, and I like it!
    I too have been quite fond of Mepis in the past.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    i never liked this distro, maybe coz i downloaded the free edition......

is the pay for edtion worth it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast