Find the answer to your Linux question:
Article1 Article 2 So what do you think?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Microsoft-sponsored report slams Linux security

Article1

Article 2

So what do you think?

I think scientists and academics can be bought and sold ... At the same time, you have to remain objective. Perhaps it's true. On the other hand, why would MS fund very public research without knowing what the findings would be?

Would they invest all that money, while acknowledging the possibility that the research report might declare, 'Microsoft servers are insecure, and Bill Gates funded the research which uncovered the results". What would MS shareholders think of that? What would happen to their market share?

In the past, scientists have 'reliably' published research showing that smoking is safe, defending their methodology to the hilt. My experience of academics is that they are not always objective and are often thinking of future funding streams, their retirement. Shocking that academic institutions are being used as corporate playing fields.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Enthusiast
    Why did I feel like I read that before???
    Oh yes... i did.

Why repeat the same kind of info? I get a little bit a feeling when I read something regarding "Microsoft vs Linux" that I find you there too...

Please tell me I'm wrong...

If I can make another comment, I feel it might be a bad idea to always harp on 'how good we are' and 'how bad MS are' - then we are immediately in a defensive position. In a sense we are helping to create a 'them and us' culture. Should we always define ourselves in terms of how bad someone else is? I don't think so.

I'm not flaming anyone here by the way. After all, I've made a decision to comment

All the same, if we are really a 'community' I think we should be more positive and get out there and do something. Advocacy is good if it is well done. I've never 'converted' anyone to Linux (rather a religious idea I think) as I'm not hugely persuasive. On the other hand, I'm working on a website which might help to 'spread the gospel'. It's better to focus on your own creativity than focus on Mr. Gates and his attendant 'evils'. Actually, without Windows I would never have become interested in computers in the first place - seems silly, but it's true. Look at the good in the man: there must be some

My final point would be that I think a lot of the concerns about MS are really fears about globalisation and the direction which global capitalism has taken. I think some of you might read the word 'capitalism' and think, 'This guy's a goddam Commie'. Well, I lean to the left, but NO... and never! I think these fears are incredibly justified. Everything - including peoples' personal relationships - seem to revolve around $$ or . I'm seeing more and more of it, and it scares the living crap out of me.

I don't have any answers to the worlds' problems, but in my own way I try to help. Be creative, help to fund something, volunteer for a good socially useful cause. Doing something like that will change your life and the shape of the world. Jeezzus... soap-box corner :o
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    I feel it might be a bad idea to always harp on 'how good we are' and 'how bad MS are' - then we are immediately in a defensive position. In a sense we are helping to create a 'them and us' culture. Should we always define ourselves in terms of how bad someone else is? I don't think so.
    You're absolutely right. Many of us started with computers fitted with Windows and switched to Linux, at least I did. But since we're on Linux now, we should concentrate on Linux and how we do, instead of "how others think of us". Quality proves itself always, we don't need Microsoft for that

Would it be an idea to create a "sticky" only related to "Microsoft"?
    That way, we can keep the forum clean and prevent many related topics to flood it...

Quote Originally Posted by boba_fett
    Would it be an idea to create a "sticky" only related to "Microsoft"? That way, we can keep the forum clean and prevent many related topics to flood it...
    Yes, I hadn't thought of that, but I think it's a very good idea Otherwise we're a one topic forum

Linux Newbie

Re: Microsoft-sponsored report slams Linux security

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted
    Article1

Article 2

So what do you think?
    unsettling article
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115