Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Just added a review for Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog). Where do they come up with these names?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Just added a review for Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog). Where do they come up with these names?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Ouch. That's not a glowing review
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

TechieMoe wrote:
    Thankfully, reactivating root is as simple as popping into a console and typing "sudo" then "passwd" to set the root password.
    I have not used Ubuntu in a long time. So I was not aware of this.
    So, the default for sudo, is just to type sudo without a password, and you have root priveliges.

So, if someone manages to hack into the box, in order to get root priveliges, all they have to do is type sudo in a terminal.

I can't believe they would do something so stupid.

I read the entire review, lmao. Thanks, TechieMoe, I will not be installing this one.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Where do they come up with these names?
    Perhaps those guys have a drink on friday and take telephonebook and try to read the names backwards

Quote Originally Posted by boba_fett
    Perhaps those guys have a drink on friday and take telephonebook and try to read the names backwards
    Funny you mention drinking, since Tettnang (the name for Fedora Core 2) is a beer-producing city in Germany and Yarrow (the name for FC1) is a kind of hops.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by boba_fett
    Funny you mention drinking, since Tettnang (the name for Fedora Core 2) is a beer-producing city in Germany and Yarrow (the name for FC1) is a kind of hops.
    And what's more funnier... I don't drink... but do use Fedora

Linux Newbie
    simplymepis 3.3: i've been using it for a few months now and think i can give a review. i'm what i would call an "experianced noob." i've been using linux for about 8 months now and have tried suse, mandrake, fedora, and mepis. mepis is my favorite so far (i love apt-get), but it has some major issues. mainly, it's hardware recognition sucks. after i installed it (which btw was the simplest and quickest install i've ever done) the native resolution was set wrong (easy fix however), my video drivers wouldn't install (i've asked 5 forums and still can't get them installed) and my soudn doesn't work (although i've barely spent any time working on fixing it). i'm currently looking for another distro, i'll probably try ubuntu hoary 5.04, since everyone (except for techiemoe) has given it awesome reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    So, if someone manages to hack into the box, in order to get root priveliges, all they have to do is type sudo in a terminal.

That makes two of us. The thing that amazes me is that they call this a "security feature". Must be using the Microsoft Dictionary of Marketing Terms.

I read the entire review, lmao. Thanks, TechieMoe, I will not be installing this one.
    Glad to see someone shares my sense of humor. Good luck, there are better distros out there IMO.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast

That makes two of us. The thing that amazes me is that they call this a "security feature". Must be using the Microsoft Dictionary of Marketing Terms.
    There you have it... people are fed up with Windows and want to switch. So what do some companies do? They create a Linuxstein which suits the need. Give the user all rights and "it will always work", so they won't complain...

If you put it really sharp: it's downgrading Linux back to the level of Windows.

Glad to see someone shares my sense of humor. Good luck, there are better distros out there IMO.
    Absolutely!

Linux Newbie
    having just uninstalled ubuntu on my system, i can now say that i completely agree with techieMoe's point of view. i won't go into details, but i uninstalled it after a few hours of playing around. needless to say, i was not impressed one bit.

i reinstalled mepis, but within a few weeks (gotta find an empty weekend!!) i will be installing gentoo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast