Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by jnev i reinstalled mepis I don't know it, any chance for a review...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jnev
    i reinstalled mepis
    I don't know it, any chance for a review

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    All my distro experiences are catalogued in all their obscene glory on my personal website. I've posted the link here before but I thought I'd once again give a disclaimer that these are mostly HUMOROUS reviews meant to make fun of features I didn't like about the various distros, not to be THE distro review site. That being said, once again for your guilty pleasure:

TechieMoe's Tech Section
    That is one good site, thanks

Edit: Love the reviews on Fedora, Gentoo and College Linux hehe, had some bad experience with it's installer myself because lilo wouldnt install in the mbr...
    Ma homeboy is Jesus himself.

Linux Engineer
    --Vector Linux SOHO 5.0.1--
    Media: Two CDs (installation CD and a goodies CD) or download the ISO (ISO is free).

For those of you that miss the good ol' DOS days, installing VL SOHO is a flashback to those days. Simple GUI is straightforward and too the point. On my lumbering PIII 450, the total install time was around 30 minutes. For the novice, the installation process isn't intuitive, especially if you have no idea what partitions are.

During the install process you can select the modules that get loaded/installed. Comes with the standard fare of office apps and other goodies (like xine). You also have a choice between KDE and IceWM as your Windows Manager. Root password and users are also created during the install process.

First boot: Goes right into the appropriate WM. And I have to say this. This distribution rocks on an older machine. Can't wait to build a new machine and load this up to watch it really scream. A tad sluggish here and there with KDE, but switching to IceWM really allowed my PC to use this distro like it should be used.

Everyday running: When I first started playing around with SuSE, I was in no hurry to make a total switch to Linux. After loading VL SOHO, I haven't touched Windows for any serious work in over a month. The distribution is rock solid, haven't crashed once, and even with all the playing around I've been doing under the hood, it's been extremely resilient and patient with my tinkering. I upgraded the kernel a few days ago, and it's even happier now. I LOVE this distribution!
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by boba_fett
    i reinstalled mepis

i kinda wrote one a few posts up

let me know if you want something a bit more specific

Linux Enthusiast
    i reinstalled mepis
    i kinda wrote one a few posts up

let me know if you want something a bit more specific

Missed that.. sorry

Linux Newbie
    i think i'm going to try kanotix 2005-02 tomorrow. anyone have any experiance with that distro? it's not very popular it seems...

Linux Newbie
    apparently kanotix is just a livecd (funny, i remember reading that you can install it to the hd...). anyways, i've decided to give ubuntu another chance, and it's kinda starting to grow on me.hardware recognition is much better than mepis and the documentation is better as well. i've already installed the nvidia drivers (impossible in mepis) and several programs. we'll see how it goes.

Re: Write your experiences with a new distro...

Would it be an idea if someone is going to install a Linux distro he/she didn't use before to write a little review here? That way, we can read about it based on experience by members of this forum instead of using "general" information from sites like Distrowatch.

I'm not saying those sites are wrong, but what I always find interesting/important, is why a distro is satisfying or not. Did it work, anything you noticed, etc.. Of course, this way, we get "coloured" reviews, but believing we're all serious in what we're doing, that shouldn't be a drawback

At the moment, I'm installing Ubuntu, so unless you don't like to, I'll write my review within the next days.

And for now... add your own review(s) if you like
    Here is my review of Ubuntu.
    http://www.brilliantmediocrity.com/node/32
    It is kinda of long..... Also the last 1/3 is about the same as I wrote on some thread in the debian forum. :P

hehe, I am kinda of cruel and pretentious
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie
    heh, i'm liking ubuntu more and more. it combines the best parts of suse and mepis. mepis was very fast and easy to use, while suse was easier to play games on since the nvidia drivers were very simple to install (not so in mepis). i guess i didn't give ubuntu enough time last time i tried. now that i've configured it to my liking i can't imagine going back to mepis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3