Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I remember using redhat linux 7.0 on my old laptop and desktops with very low memory and slow cpu speeds and the operating system was very responsive . Now i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Remembering the old days

I remember using redhat linux 7.0 on my old laptop and desktops with very low memory and slow cpu speeds and the operating system was very responsive . Now i have a laptop with 512 meg of ram with 1.7 mhz cpu with a standard linux installation and sometimes the system crawls. Is it me or do you all think that linux is now requiring alot of system resources like windows? Let me know what you all think. Thanks

Well, the way a system "feels" or "responds" is kind of subjective. People have long told me how they consider SuSE to be the "slowest" responding distro and praise Gentoo or Slackware as being "more responsive" but I think it's all in their heads. I've never been able to tell any difference with what I do.

What distros have you tried that don't run well on a 1.7gHz machine?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Well, the way a system "feels" or "responds" is kind of subjective. People have long told me how they consider SuSE to be the "slowest" responding distro and praise Gentoo or Slackware as being "more responsive" but I think it's all in their heads. I've never been able to tell any difference with what I do.

Redhat 9.0, Suse 9.2 and now im using Fed 3

I've never been able to tell any difference with what I do.
    Maybe that's because your machine is so fast it actually anticipates what you're going to do next.

Ahh, jealousy...
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by duster
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Redhat 9.0, Suse 9.2 and now im using Fed 3
    Yeah, I think that about sums up my point. I've used all three of those (currently using 9.2 on my main machine) on a sub-2gHz machine with the same amount of RAM and noticed no lag whatsoever. *shrug* Apparently it's subjective.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast

Re: Remembering the old days

I remember using redhat linux 7.0 on my old laptop and desktops with very low memory and slow cpu speeds and the operating system was very responsive . Now i have a laptop with 512 meg of ram with 1.7 mhz cpu with a standard linux installation and sometimes the system crawls. Is it me or do you all think that linux is now requiring alot of system resources like windows? Let me know what you all think. Thanks
    I doubt that Linux itself requires a lot of resources.Applications
    on top of Linux perhaps.
    When the system crawls run the top command to see which
    applications hog the cpu.

I tried to install SuSE 9.1 personal on a pc with only 128 MB ram, and I was told I couldn't do it, 256 was minimum. That to me is excessive.
    But ,SuSE 9.2 on my machine now is really fast.
    Kde 3.3
    2.8 Ghz Celeron proc
    1 gig ram

And I love it.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    I tried SuSE 9.2 on my PIII/450, 196 MB RAM. KDE brought the machine to its knees on a fairly regular basis. Should have dumped KDE and tried IceWM then, but didn't really know anything about it. Since loading Vector Linux and dumping KDE, I'm very pleased with the performance.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

I know what you mean about linux being slower these days. But it is still much faster than my Win XP install on the same machine.

I have a friend who uses MDK 10.1 on a Pentium 166 laptop and he has no problems whatsoever with it as he has a 600 MB swap space.

Oh, for the good old days when you could run the latest OS on a Pentium MMX with 32 MB RAM free of any influence from Redmond

Linux User

Re: Remembering the old days

... with 1.7 mhz cpu ...
    Wow... That's some crazy fast linux if its running on that

As far as speed/resources go, I use SuSE on my destop: 3.2GHz, 1g ram, and it runs very fast (Though I don't notice much difference between that and a ~1.5GHz laptop I've been using for the last week, also SuSE). The only time it is slow is when booting up, but I don't have to do that very often On that note, I've heard something about disabling swap to speed up linux, is this true, and if so, how do you do it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast