Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
hey guys hear this we r not supposed to to wear any t-shirts in college.......what do u think of this now............. sucks for sure...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

hey guys
    hear this we r not supposed to to wear any t-shirts in college.......what do u think of this
    now.............
    sucks for sure
    Portability is for people who cannot programme

Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    Why thank god?? Do you get a lot of trouble caused by drunk students?
    No, but I personally think drunken parties at colleges(usually put on by fraternities and sororities) are the downfall of western society. They have no place at an institution of higher learning. Not to mention the fact that 3/4 of the students at my former university were underage to begin with, not that the LAW would deter them or anything.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Do you think that a rule or a law can really fix a social problem?
    So how come in the US Uni you seem to have so many alcohol problem dispite those amazingly strict laws and rules???
    Where I live (Switzerland), you can legally buy alcohol at 16 and there was some beers at the college's vending machine that I attempted. I don't remember no drinking problem at school. This is a social problem, no a legal problem. No new laws will make student stop drinking if they don't get it. At best they'll hide. It has to be a social fight. Making them understand that drinking too much will do them bad rather then threatning them to get busted or even worth to go to jail.
    I don't think repression is working. Actually, I can see it doesn't.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by jeickal
    Do you think that a rule or a law can really fix a social problem?
    No, but I'd sure feel better sending my kids to a dry university.

This is a social problem, no a legal problem. No new laws will make student stop drinking if they don't get it. At best they'll hide. It has to be a social fight. Making them understand that drinking too much will do them bad rather then threatning them to get busted or even worth to go to jail.
    I don't think repression is working. Actually, I can see it doesn't.
    Although I agree that it is a social problem, definitely, I don't believe the correct course of action at this point is to do nothing. At least the legislature is *trying*, even if they are just addressing the symptoms rather than the disease.

My original comment was that they should ban social fraternities and sororities as well, since I see that as part of the social problem. These organizations *used* to be upstanding and respectable entities that actually encouraged young people to be better citizens, but in present day they're a den if iniquity for all the kids that never really grew up after high school to get together, get drunk, and get laid. These organizations are encouraging binge drinking and sending young students the message that it's okay to drink in excess every night of the week.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I don't believe the correct course of action at this point is to do nothing.
    Of course you're right. I meant that I believe prevention is more efficient than repression. I think trying to educate the kids better will bring more result than threatening them. Well, that's what is done where I live and ain't working that bad. Of course cultural differences will make one solution not working in other places.

My original comment was that they should ban social fraternities and sororities as well, since I see that as part of the social problem.
    Yup. there is none of this here. And I've seem some in action when I was in the US, boy scary... Totally agree with this.

Linux Engineer
    ......... but in present day they're a den if iniquity for all the kids that never really grew up after high school to get together, get drunk, and get laid.
    And there's a problem with this?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af
    ......... but in present day they're a den if iniquity for all the kids that never really grew up after high school to get together, get drunk, and get laid.
    And there's a problem with this?
    Well, if you know what you're doing, no, there is no problem with this.
    The problem is most have no clue, they just follow whatever is happening, just so that they won't be seen "geek" or whatever. Then yes, there is a problem with this.
    And IMHO, when I see one of those spring break frat parties, I don't see the future elite of the society there... or if this is really it, poor planet!

I am from oklahoma so i am aware of why Oklahoma University banned Alcohol. it was because a student decided to drink more than he could handle and died of alcohol poisoning. Boren the University President banned it from the campus after that. but it hasnt really stopped students. they are now just getting in trouble more for public intox. i think though if you are dumb enough to not know when its time to stop then thats natural selection. i always knew when to quit even when i first started drinking i could always tell. that sensation that you have to hurl a natural sign you have had enough
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Turn
    I live less than 10 miles from the university in question. IMO, it's a good idea.
    First, fewer than 30% of the student population residing on campus are of legal drinking age(21). Those who are old enough can designate a driver and go to any of the hundreds of bars in Norman and the surrounding area and drink themselves in to oblivion without violating the new campus policy.
    Second, consumption of alchohol is not condusive to learning. Trust me. I've tried.
    Finally, for some reason, fraternities and sororities think it's fun to force pledges to drink them-selves to death(literally). President Boren and the board have decided it's time to take a hard line and put an end to alchohol-related hazing.
    I say it's about time.
    these are not bad sentiments, and while I despise all outside and governmental control, it cant be hard to drive ten minutes away. But I do like TechieMoe's suggestion...I've never met a single decent human being that is part of a social fraternity.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2