Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
BBC News Shows that Oklahoma Uni bands drinking. *hopes the idea doesn't get into UK Uni's*...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

University's banning drink?!

BBC News Shows that Oklahoma Uni bands drinking.

*hopes the idea doesn't get into UK Uni's*
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Why don't they set aside a building on campus for the parties. Instead of forcing them off-campus.
    IMO, what they did was a bad idea.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Hi all,

Wow...thats no good for the students there. I turned 19 (legal drinking age in Canada) 4 months ago and can't imagine not being able to get alcohol anymore. I don't want to have access to alcohol for only 4 months of my four years here.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Why don't they set aside a building on campus for the parties. Instead of forcing them off-campus.
    If universities were to do something like that, they'd open themselves up to huge liability issues.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux Newbie
    I live less than 10 miles from the university in question. IMO, it's a good idea.
    First, fewer than 30% of the student population residing on campus are of legal drinking age(21). Those who are old enough can designate a driver and go to any of the hundreds of bars in Norman and the surrounding area and drink themselves in to oblivion without violating the new campus policy.
    Second, consumption of alchohol is not condusive to learning. Trust me. I've tried.
    Finally, for some reason, fraternities and sororities think it's fun to force pledges to drink them-selves to death(literally). President Boren and the board have decided it's time to take a hard line and put an end to alchohol-related hazing.
    I say it's about time.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Why don't they set aside a building on campus for the parties.
    That's what's better known as the Students Unin

Quote Originally Posted by U-Turn
    Those who are old enough can designate a driver and go to any of the hundreds of bars in Norman and the surrounding area and drink themselves in to oblivion without violating the new campus policy.
    But they said that they have the Three Strike rule (i assume u get busted drunk 3 times and ur out) That's even if u been to bars in town.

[quote="U-Turn"]President Boren and the board have decided it's time to take a hard line and put an end to alchohol-related hazing.
    I say it's about time.[/qoute]

I agree that the way Frats and sororities behave could do with changing, and the only way to stop this behaviour is to ban drinking, but it jus seems a BIG step, and a hard thing to enforce.

Over here (UK) I dont think we have sororities as such, so we dont get that sort of behaviour, so *hopefully* We wont have a ban on drinking lol

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    But they said that they have the Three Strike rule (i assume u get busted drunk 3 times and you out) That's even if u been to bars in town.
    That's right. If a student gets caught violating any alchohol-related law(minor in posession, intoxicated minor, DUI, public intox, breech of peace, etc.), on or off campus, three times in a semester, that student can be suspended. Seems pretty lenient to me.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Yeh, i guess 3 strikes is a tad leanient. i guess they should just punish them by how drunk they are..... coupla drinks, 1st warning, but slaughtered, and u on final warnin straight away, unless previously warned.

But the problem is (as i said) That it's hard to enforce.

THANK GOD. No really. This is a wonderful idea. Next they should ban social frats and sororities.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    THANK GOD. No really. This is a wonderful idea. Next they should ban social frats and sororities.
    Why thank god?? Do you get a lot of trouble caused by drunk students?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast