Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
running linux as my desktop pc, viruses really arent a concern any more, might be differend if i had a server tho.. certainly not getting any of this crappy malware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

running linux as my desktop pc, viruses really arent a concern any more, might be differend if i had a server tho.. certainly not getting any of this crappy malware anymore. ive never had a full system lock up on me either.
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Linux Newbie
    another reason. when a program locks up in windows, the whole os locks up. in linux, if a program locks up i can continue using other programs until the program "unlocks" (whereas in windows i'd have to reboot the comp).

also, linux is just more fun to use.

Just Joined!
    I choose linux instead of windows because I don't like windows

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth
    2) it is virusfree,
    You seriously believe that there are no virii for Linux?
    My dad is a virusexpert working for the government and has a collection of 50 virii for the Linux system(against 1000+ for Windows ), granted it's not much, but your fooling yourself with the idea that Linux is secure.

A linux system is only as secure as it's admin.
    True, viruses exist for any system and I also agree that any system is as vulnerable as you let it be. However, how many of those 50 virii that your father keeps are actually used out in the wild and how many are "proofs-of-concept"? How often do you hear that "So-and-so company loses XXX amount of data to malicious software attack on Linux system"? I don't believe Morgoth is "fooling himself" in thinking Linux is secure. IT IS.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

i dont like microsoft
    if there is viruses ill be ready for them
    i use a firewall just in case.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth
    2) it is virusfree,
    You seriously believe that there are no virii for Linux?
    My dad is a virusexpert working for the government and has a collection of 50 virii for the Linux system(against 1000+ for Windows ), granted it's not much, but your fooling yourself with the idea that Linux is secure.

A linux system is only as secure as it's admin.
    True, viruses exist for any system and I also agree that any system is as vulnerable as you let it be. However, how many of those 50 virii that your father keeps are actually used out in the wild and how many are "proofs-of-concept"? How often do you hear that "So-and-so company loses XXX amount of data to malicious software attack on Linux system"? I don't believe Morgoth is "fooling himself" in thinking Linux is secure. IT IS.
    I too completly agree with u. Linux is 1000 time more secure than windows. Even if there is a virus for linux I don't know wat much can it do .

Alright I'll throw in my top 5 reasons:

1) It's free
    2) It's not Microsoft
    3) No virus hassles
    4) No BSOD & Memory leaks
    5) It's better for 1,000 other reasons
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Just Joined!
    Mostley because its not controled by a single money grubbing horde but by its community who can modify it test it and re-release it for FREE but also because there are many flavores that pplz can chose from that best suits thier fancy

Just Joined!
    1. It's free
    2. Oodles of free/open source software available for linux.
    3. I like the X interfaces better, much more customizable
    4. It's generally faster, and tends to rely on the command line, or a CLI.
    5. I like It better.

Truth be told, as long as I ran the right antispyware programs and had some antivirus's on windows, it really wasn't much of a problem for me. But with all the more available software for linux, If I need a program to convert .mp3 to .wav I don't have to worry about it being a adware ridden peice of garbage that barely does the job.

Just Joined!
    well i just switched to linux but here are my reasons why

-windows sucks the life out of my processor and memory
    -even a clean install of windows is slow and then you gotta download ten million "security" updates and when your done you've lost like 5gigs of hdd space
    -i don't have to worry that my OS is pirated anymore
    -tis a good learning process
    -chicks dig it
    -god does too

peace

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast