Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What do you think makes a Linux distro? What parts of it should and shouldn't be judged? Yes, it's just another one of those opinion topics. -Jim...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What do you think makes a Linux Distro?

What do you think makes a Linux distro? What parts of it should and shouldn't be judged? Yes, it's just another one of those opinion topics.

-Jim

Hi jcdude2525,

Interesting question. I would have to say that a package management system really makes a distro. Most distros come with one of two main desktop environments (KDE or GNOME) and relatively similar software. For me, what makes a big difference is the way you can get new software and how easy it is to install it. This is where a good package management system comes in.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Also i believe (in order to get more people to make the switch) a decent graphical installer.

Now, as a gentoo user, i can't exactly say this is 100% necesary, else i wouldn't be using it! But for new people to be happy to make the move, i think a Good installer is a key feature.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Engineer
    I'm not so sure the installer needs to be GUI, but it DOES need to be dependable and accurate. Nothing is more infuriating than attempting an upgrade, and finding out you're missing a ton of dependencies.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux User
    definitely package management and installer, because after that, almost everything else is customizable by using said package management

Package management all the way.
    I have stopped using distros because I didn't like there package management system. I still keep FC around. After I fill up all my partitions, and see another distro that I might like. FC will probably go.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Enthusiast
    I have to agree with you all on packagemanagement and a decent/friendly installer (text based or graphical).

Other than that, such as which applications come with the distro, is less important. Just grab your favorites from the internet

Just Joined!
    this is how i rate a Distro:

Does it have apt-get or ports?
    if no then it sucks.

i may run FC3, but i have apt-get for it, and i use FreeBSD for my server

To be honest, if a distro has a good package manager, then it *SHOULD* come with a decent installer, as i would think that they would wanna show off their package manager asap

I know SuSE is like this, using yast to install.

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af
    I'm not so sure the installer needs to be GUI, but it DOES need to be dependable and accurate. Nothing is more infuriating than attempting an upgrade, and finding out you're missing a ton of dependencies.
    That's a fair point.... but what i meant qith GUI wasn't necesarily a point and click, but at least something ncurses based. and the reason i gave for it needing to be gui based (read at least ncurses) was for beginners to not have to see all the internal workings. They dont care (to start off with) how it works, they just wanna b able to use it.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux User
    Good support, simplicity, package managment... For me, perfect distro is Slackware.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast