Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
It wasn't getting to a cli that was his problem; the terminal is included in Gnome...it was killing X and getting to a "true" command line. I also think that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

It wasn't getting to a cli that was his problem; the terminal is included in Gnome...it was killing X and getting to a "true" command line. I also think that it is not a good thing to make it well-nigh impossible to have a non-graphical login.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Disabling root is done for security reasons...
    And just what security reasons might that be? If anything, IMO, disabling root causes MORE security risks than not because regular users are given sudo privileges to hose their system, not to mention (as someone mentioned before) all a cracker needs to do to compromise your system is find a regular user password and sudo your life away to his/her heart's content.

On the topic of Ubuntu being Debian-like, note in my original post I said it operates nothing like vanilla Debian. It may well have the same installer and package system, even the same packages, but it doesn't work the same to me.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    It wasn't getting to a cli that was his problem; the terminal is included in Gnome...it was killing X and getting to a "true" command line. I also think that it is not a good thing to make it well-nigh impossible to have a non-graphical login.
    You are correct. I could get a CLI just fine, but not kill X and run in just console mode (most distros consider this runlevel 3). I also believe that making non-graphical login impossible is just plain stupid, particularly for troubleshooting video problems.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    I take you don't like Debian either, since all bad remarks(so far IMO all untrue) count for Deb as well.
    I have never used Debain before, though I keep planning on trying it out on a separate partition, but never got around to it. If it is exactly like Ubuntu, I probably won't like it, but generally there are very small things in a distro that bother me, and I will switch distros (My running list of every distro I have tried in in my sig)

Of course, when I tried Ubuntu, I was fairly new to linux, I pulled 5.04 down to my server a few days ago, maybe I'll burn it and give it another try.

On the topic of sudo/root:
    I think that sudo is more insecure for a local machine, as every user can use it, but its more secure remotely, as someone will have to guess both your username and password (with root, they'd have to only guess your password, as your username would be "root"). Of course, the best solution would be to disable remote logon as root, that way, someone would need your logon name, password, and root password to gain total access to your machine

I don't neccessarily think people are stupid for using Ubuntu, I'm glad they're at least using Linux, I just don't like it myself

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    You are correct. I could get a CLI just fine, but not kill X and run in just console mode (most distros consider this runlevel 3). I also believe that making non-graphical login impossible is just plain stupid, particularly for troubleshooting video problems.
    Oh...
    Well that's easy, Debian doesn't work like that.
    The correct way to close your X server in Debian(and Ubuntu) is:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    Apart from this you can also simply change the default runlevel.
    Again, this is Debian related and not just Ubuntu(and not needed for nvidia).

As for sudo, people are still arguing about it and since I personally activated my root account, I cant' really comment on this.
    I only know some claim it's more secure and some claim it's not

Oh...
    Well that's easy, Debian doesn't work like that.
    The correct way to close your X server in Debian(and Ubuntu) is:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    I beg to differ, Debian-based distros I've used in the past (except Ubuntu) most certainly do work the way I previously described. Also, since I was using KUbuntu, stopping gdm wouldn't have helped much.

Apart from this you can also simply change the default runlevel.
    Again, this is Debian related and not just Ubuntu(and not needed for nvidia).
    Changing the default runlevel in /etc/inittab does nothing in Ubuntu 5.04. Regardless of what number I set it would *always* go to a graphical login. This is most certainly Ubuntu related or I would have run into this problem with Mepis, Libranet, Linspire, or Xandros (all Debian-based).

I don't know the last time you installed an Nvidia driver, but the newest commercial installer requires that you not have X running in the background in order to install it.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe

I beg to differ, Debian-based distros I've used in the past (except Ubuntu) most certainly do work the way I previously described. Also, since I was using KUbuntu, stopping gdm wouldn't have helped much.
    Well, in default Sarge and Sid also do use GDM (Kubuntu doesn't?).
    I never tried this, but I geuss it should work with KDM as well...
    And yeah, Debian changed this a lot in the past.
    If I remember correctly, all old Debian versions only booted till text mode.

Changing the default runlevel in /etc/inittab does nothing in Ubuntu 5.04. Regardless of what number I set it would *always* go to a graphical login. This is most certainly Ubuntu related or I would have run into this problem with Mepis, Libranet, Linspire, or Xandros (all Debian-based).
    Strange... (I'll post back on this)
    Well, you could also just remove gdm (or kdm)

I don't know the last time you installed an Nvidia driver, but the newest commercial installer requires that you not have X running in the background in order to install it.
    Only if you use the nvidia installer, you could also just do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

Just Joined!
    i hate ubuntu, and gnome, and ubuntu, twice, just for good measure, i hope you enjoy, my educated opinion

Well, in default Sarge and Sid also do use GDM (Kubuntu doesn't?).
    The last time I checked vanilla Debian doesn't include any X environments at all, so it only has GDM if you choose to use GNOME. Since KUbuntu uses KDE, it would have KDM.

Only if you use the nvidia installer, you could also just do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
    Correct. However I prefer to install via the official commercial driver, which requires you to stop X first.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Well, I tested on my FC3-box a while ago, renaming gdm, kdm and xdm simply made X not start automaticly (thouth you get an error-message everytime you boot...), so you could try this on ubuntu too, and then install the nvidia-drivers, and at last rename gdm, kdm and xdm to their original names... GDM, KDM and XDM because fc3 seemed too automaticly start an other if the default is not found...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast