Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I have decided to shift from windows to linux.. Can anyone tell me that which version(or distro i think ) should i used....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which linux version is the easiest for a new user

Hi all,

I have decided to shift from windows to linux.. Can anyone tell me that which version(or distro i think ) should i used.

Linux Newbie
    Fedora Core or Mandrake are easy to use for new users
    Please goto www.distrowatch.org to find out about alot more distros than i could ever name and it will tell you about everything you need to know about them aswell

Good luck and love linux as we do

Sorry to seem rude aswell, but check out this posting

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-19023.html

Just Joined!
    If you haven't tried Linux yet a live CD is always a good way to get a taste and see if Linux is palatable for you. I would suggest Knoppix or Slax.

If you know that you want to install Linux to your hard drive Suse, Mandrake, and Fedora are touted as the easiest for newbies. But, as they say, using a distribution such as those mentioned will teach you how to use that distribution; using Slackware or Debian will teach you Linux.

Linux Engineer
    Yeah, it is distro. Linux-version is the version of the kernel, the part every linux-system has in common. The linux-distro is the kernel + additional software needed for the system to do anything other than beeing up, bundled up by a company or a community.

If you're completely new to linux, I would suggest SuSE, fedora, mandrake/mandriva or mepis - Just to snook around, here is the links to screenies of some of the systems:

Mandrake 10.1 OE: http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...e=193&slide=41
    Fedora core 3: http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...e=173&slide=30
    SimplyMEPIS 3.3: http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl....3+screenshots

For more screenies, look here: http://shots.osdir.com/

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp335
    using Slackware or Debian will teach you Linux.
    But the easiest trail is to start with an easy distro, and then move on to the more advanced later when you have fetched the basics of linux.

If you're looking for easy, Linux isn't for you. Although there are some distributions out there that are easier to pick up and go than others, what's "easiest" to you may not be the same for anyone else. Linux will force you to learn a lot more about your computer than you did in MS Windows, so just be ready. That being said, I'd recommend you start with *any* distro and keep trying out new ones on a regular basis until you find one you like.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    SuSE
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

I really like the 'any distro' advice from techieMoe, though this does not hold true for everyone. I know a few people who had bad experiences with a hard-to-manage linux distro and were turned away. Me? I am looking for something new because I am bored by Mepis. But many people actually like this simplicity.

For newbies, I'd recommend checking out Distrowatch, and trying out some of the live distros (knoppix, mepis, also suse had a live version, slax, morphix, dinebolic...).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp335
    using Slackware or Debian will teach you Linux.
    But the easiest trail is to start with an easy distro, and then move on to the more advanced later when you have fetched the basics of linux.
    I disagree. Back when I started with Redhat, I learned absolutely nothing about linux or the advantages of open source. So, I sat down and educated myself about what linux REALLY was and based off my research, I downloaded ArchLinux. If you really want to learn linux, it's not hard. It can be frustrating at times, but if you admire the power you will receive...it's all candycanes.

I started out with Suse 9.1 personal(a good distro for newbies IMO)
    But things wern't quite right, so I kept tweaking, and coming to this forum for advice on how to fix all of the problems I had gotten myself into.
    and in the process, I learned quite a bit about Linux(still have a long way to go).

My reccommendation would be to start with an easier distro, like Suse, Mepis or Fedora Core(not my personal choice, but others might like it).

And move to one of the distros that has a little more power.

The one thing about SUSE(my second favorite distro), even though it is good for newbies, it s also good for more knowledgeable Linux users.
    [quote from TechieMoe]
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast