Find the answer to your Linux question:
How would I go about doing this? My friend is going to let me have his Creative Nomad that has a failed hard drive in it. Do I just replace ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fixing a failed hard drive in an mp3 player

How would I go about doing this? My friend is going to let me have his Creative Nomad that has a failed hard drive in it. Do I just replace it and add an external hard drive (might get a bit pricey) or can I just fix the disc internally (mucho harder)? This is important to me because if I fix it I get to keep it, and I might just run Linux on it Guides, personal help, advice, etc. is all appreciated, thanks.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Linux Enthusiast
    Depends what kind of harddisk is inside.
    If it's the same as used in laptops, I'd change it.

Of course, external ones can hold more megabytes (or terrabyte, read recently that there is a 1 terrabyte disk now)...

Not for sure... he's going to give it to me on Monday when I see him in class. I guess it's just a small abd generic hard drives that are used in mp3 players.

Wow, a "Terabyte"? Move over gigabyte.

Linux Newbie
    A Terabyte is 1000GB
    Ma homeboy is Jesus himself.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeMonster
    A Terabyte is 1000GB
    it's 1024GB, it's that because computers use a base-2 system, when they use a base-10 system then it'll be 1000GB

Linux Newbie
    ahh yes of course, going up in binary numbers...
    Ma homeboy is Jesus himself.

hopefully in the future all computers will use a base-10 system, i believe there are some around but they're very expensive, binary is easy to represent as you can represent is as on/off, open/closed, or in the case of ram, voltage/no voltage. base-2 system computers used to be very expensive aswell untill the miniturization of the switch came about, the typical mobile phone these days is more powerfull than a computer which used to take up an entire room. it's just a case of time, something i look forward to

also switching to a base-10 system will make computers much much faster, they won't have to waste time converting base-10 input to base-2, and then base-2 back to an understandable end-user result of base-10

sorry if i took this topic off-topic, this is a subject that interests me very much, mind you this is the coffee lounge so it's somewhat expected

Linux Newbie
    i'm pretty sure that the nomad uses a 2.5" laptop driver, so you will probably be able to open it up and replace the drive...

the nomad uses a notebook drive my friend took his apart when he got a new mp3 player.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Thanks for the info, I'll search for a cheap laptop drive to throw in.