Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK...I want a psp but only think ill get it if i can have mass amounts of music connected to it. The psp uses memory sticks to store stuff on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

ide drives and play station portable

OK...I want a psp but only think ill get it if i can have mass amounts of music connected to it. The psp uses memory sticks to store stuff on and ive foud ones 4GB in size but thats not enough. While looking i found several adapters to connect the sticks to your puter. Most of them are usb but i saw a few that i think were ide adapters. Ide uses the ATA protocol doesnt it? What protocol do the memory sticks use? Any thoughts on connecting a ide/scsi/sata drive to a psp?
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

Erm, just a thought, but how on earth do you plan on powering the ide/scsi/sata drive (i'm talking about when you're 'on the move', the whole point of a "portable" games device)
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

The PSP is not an iPod. It's meant to play games and hold a few TV shows or a *few* mp3s. If you need more serious music storage I'd recommend you get a device designed for that sort of thing.

Not that I think your idea isn't an intriguing one... but I just think it's more trouble than it's worth, personally.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    if you're looking for a handheld multimedia player, i recommend the iriver pmp140, it's 40GB, can play MP3, WMA, ASF, JPEG, BMP, AVI, MP4, MPG / DivX 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, XviD, MPEG4 SP, Advanced SP, MPEG 1, and it's linux based. i'll be getting one myself.

picture: http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/images/iriver_pmp_100.jpg
    specs: iriver pmp140

Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin
    if you're looking for a handheld multimedia player, i recommend the iriver pmp140, it's 40GB, can play MP3, WMA, ASF, JPEG, BMP, AVI, MP4, MPG / DivX 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, XviD, MPEG4 SP, Advanced SP, MPEG 1, and it's linux based. i'll be getting one myself.
    For $645USD (converted from 369 pounds), I'll pass, thanks.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    considering the price of mp3 players when they came out, that price is cheap for what it offers

Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    considering the price of mp3 players when they came out, that price is cheap for what it offers
    I wish I made enough to think over $600 for a glorified MP3 player is "cheap for what it offers". I have no need to watch TV shows on the road and my iPod plays music just fine (same capacity as that thing by the way, and half the price). I have no need for both, particularly not for that amount of money.

If you do, more power to ya.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    All the replies are good but, everyone keeps skirting my question. I dont really care for how practicle it is I dont think it would be too hard to get a 12,5 and 2 volt regulator(s) to power a drive. I think it would be an awsome mod! So, once again, I just need to know how a drive (ide preferably) comunicates with the computer and how memory sticks comunicate :P