Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I had a conversation at work this morning, and I think I'm having an effect! My boss said to a colleague, 'Yes, but you can use Open Office for free ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Software recommendations for M$ users

I had a conversation at work this morning, and I think I'm having an effect! My boss said to a colleague, 'Yes, but you can use Open Office for free instead of that' ... So I'm asking this question:

If you could recommend three open source software packages to your work colleagues, friends or neighbours what would they be? Here are my rules

1. They must be platform independent;
    2. they've got to be useful and productive for people with limited time;
    3. they should be impressive and addictive to use - as in 'My God! This
    is so good, and it's free!'

Once my colleagues see how good these packages are, they'll want to know more - Then I'll start talking about operating systems I thought of the Gimp and Open Office, then I wasn't sure ... Firefox??
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Engineer
    Yeah, I would have mentioned gimp, openoffice and firefox too (I allready have to the most...), and in addition audacity. I also heard they were porting konqueror to win with v4.0???

I know, it's not an easy question is it? Still, I thought I'd try
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Engineer
    Hmmmmmmm. For Windows? How about DBAN? j/k
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af
    Hmmmmmmm. For Windows? How about DBAN? j/k
    Hmmm, looks like the sort of thing you would recommend to certain high profile celebrities just before the court case got underway ... Naming no names of course, but how about those rhyming with Jikal Maxman?

Linux Newbie
    openoffice, firefox, gimp

Linux Engineer
    Firefox is pretty much a no brainer anyway. Just about everyone I know uses that program, and it isn't really something that was designed for Linux and then ported over to Windows.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af
    Firefox is pretty much a no brainer anyway. Just about everyone I know uses that program, and it isn't really something that was designed for Linux and then ported over to Windows.
    True I suppose. They already use Google which has a Linux back-end. Know of any open source realplayer type thing which runs on Windows?

I managed to install Realplayer 10 Gold last night on Mandriva 10.1 so it's on my mind

Linux Engineer
    Opera!
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Know of any open source realplayer type thing which runs on Windows?
    Not to my knowledge. The more I think about your original question, the more difficult it becomes. Originally, the apps that were designed for the 'nix' community really didn't care if they were compatible with other OSs such as Windows or DOS. It's only been within the past few years that it's become an issue and we're seeing a few more apps which are cross platform compatible.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast