Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Linux is a 'do it yourself' kind of OS. If you want it to get all f*cked up, you have to do it yourself. Windows does it for you automatically...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux is a 'do it yourself' kind of OS.

If you want it to get all f*cked up, you have to do it yourself.

Windows does it for you automatically

Quote Originally Posted by tp671
    You cant ignore the cost savings. A copy of xp pro costs around $150 us. You install it, and what do you have?
    - internet explorer
    - outlook express
    - notepad
    - paintbrush
    How dare you forget wordpad!
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie
    Well forgive me but I must say..

Freedom of choice!

Well, thats it for me. Anything like not having to defrag(remember the pain on win9, being less weary of viruses and tons of software are a good bonus! Hence the fact you asked why shows you have not looked into it. So I leave you w/ install it and see for yourself!
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kadessa
    If you only use chat programs (msn, yahoo, aol, whatever) and p2p to download tons of useless stuff, then stay with Windows. However, if you expect more from a computer, you want to take control of it, you want to learn how it works, and the most important thing: you enjoy learning!! then, try Linux.
    Hey now! I chat AND download tons of useless stuff over p2p... and I <3 Linux!

Edit: <3 is supposed to be a heart, btw

Quote Originally Posted by eqisow
    If you only use chat programs (msn, yahoo, aol, whatever) and p2p to download tons of useless stuff, then stay with Windows. However, if you expect more from a computer, you want to take control of it, you want to learn how it works, and the most important thing: you enjoy learning!! then, try Linux.
    Hey now! I chat AND download tons of useless stuff over p2p... and I <3 Linux!

Edit: <3 is supposed to be a heart, btw
    you kids and your crazy emoticons... In my day we used ascii values and that is the ways we 060051 it
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    If you only use chat programs (msn, yahoo, aol, whatever) and p2p to download tons of useless stuff, then stay with Windows.
    I can do everyone of those on Linux.

GAIM
    Soulseek
    Azureus
    Xchat
    Irssi
    *****X

I've used Windows since win95, and even some of 3.1. I recently converted to using Linux as my full time OS with almost zero prior experiance. If you don't want to switch for the absolute control you'll get, switch because the support for Linux is so great, I have gone months without getting help with a Windows problem. Whereas, if I have a problem with something now, I can post it here, and it's resolved within a matter of hours. And if I can't get ti fixed here, there are tons of other sites that offer support.

If you're still semi-unzure, and you're scared of the command line. Do not let that stop you. I have installed nearly everything without using the command line that much, and even when I've had to do it, it's so easy. Not to mention if something doesn't install correctly, it tells you exactly why. Simple take the error you get, and Google it, or place it here. 9 times out of 10 someone else, somewhere, has had the exact same problem.

So to answer your question: Why not switch to Linux?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    You cant ignore the cost savings. A copy of xp pro costs around $150 us. You install it, and what do you have?
    - internet explorer
    - outlook express
    - notepad
    - paintbrush
    And if you want to use these 5 wonderful programs on another pc, that will be another $150. What a deal!!!
    Registered Linux user #388374
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
    Albert Einstein, (1879 - 1955)

- internet explorer
    - outlook express
    - notepad
    - paintbrush
    And if you want to use these 5 wonderful programs on another pc, that will be another $150. What a deal!!!
    What about all the spyware and adware that comes with Windows.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!

Re: Hi everybody

Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    Quote Originally Posted by sam207
    I Am a windows user, why should i use linux?
    I have had my computer on for 9 days now without a reboot. and even when i rebooted it wasn't cos of a problem, it was cos i went away, so turned the computer off.
    I like to turn mine off to avoid a hefty bill
    My biggest uptime has been about 3 days, which is laughable.

Umm, Linux is alot more stable than Windows I admit but being the loyal BSD user I am , I would have to say OpenBSD, is probably the most stable and secure OS around at the moment.
    Linux Is a great desktop OS, it comes with alot of free software and is possibly the best alternative to Windows at this present time. I see a good future for Linux, I see it evolving every year.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    - internet explorer
    - outlook express
    - notepad
    - paintbrush
    What about all the spyware and adware that comes with Windows.
    You mean the spyware and adware you have to PAY to keep off your computer, yes I forgot about that lol!!!!!
    Registered Linux user #388374
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
    Albert Einstein, (1879 - 1955)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast