Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I Am a windows user, why should i use linux?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi everybody

I Am a windows user, why should i use linux?

Re: Hi everybody

Quote Originally Posted by sam207
    That's tempting fate, ur guna get a lot of posts for this.... mainly it is because of the stability of linux over windows.

I have had my computer on for 9 days now without a reboot. and even when i rebooted it wasn't cos of a problem, it was cos i went away, so turned the computer off.

The applications are (mostly) free for linux, and just as good as windows applications (eg GIMP instead of Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro and Open Office instead of Word Excel etc.)

I find it boots quicker than windows. (when i do reboot it)

But mostly, i can do what I want with the computer, NOT what the computer feels i should do!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    But mostly, i can do what I want with the computer, NOT what the computer feels i should do!
    My thought exactly. Linux is about control...you do what you want when you want.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

To further continue the idea the previous posters brought up, I'd like to use an analogy that someone else pointed out to me once (forgive me if it's a little trite):

There are people out there who don't care anything about how their car operates. They put in the key, turn it on, and use it. If it doesn't work they get someone else to fix it.

There are other people who know every gasket, hose, and piston of their car and can tweak, upgrade, swap out, and repair any and everything inside of it. These people spend hours of their time just playing with their cars for the joy of doing it, or trying to squeeze one ounce more of performance out of it.

Linux is for hotrodders. It's an OS for people who look at their computers like a hotrod: something they want absolute control of in order to tweak it, customize it, make it their own. Linux will allow you to do anything you want and not ask questions. You'll learn a lot about your hardware in the process, and may actually find out you enjoy it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    If you only use chat programs (msn, yahoo, aol, whatever) and p2p to download tons of useless stuff, then stay with Windows. However, if you expect more from a computer, you want to take control of it, you want to learn how it works, and the most important thing: you enjoy learning!! then, try Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by sam207
    The ability to help your neighbor is good. The ability to share with others is good. When I give and share with you, you do the same for me. We both are better because of it. If someone said you can't learn about world history, biology, or art, you would be mad. Yet, we are told we should not be able to learn about technology. I believe in freedom of speech, so I believe in free software. I believe in helping others, so I believe in free software.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Linux will allow you to do anything you want and not ask questions.
    This can however backfire if you are not careful! eg:
    Code:
    rm -rf /
    is NOT a wise command to run. hehe
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    Code:
    rm -rf /
    is NOT a wise command to run. hehe
    Ok, I did that, and now I have a white blinking curser now what?
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

because it's so cool

Linux Newbie
    You cant ignore the cost savings. A copy of xp pro costs around $150 us. You install it, and what do you have?
    - internet explorer
    - outlook express
    - notepad
    - paintbrush

Now get a copy of Suse 9.3 pro for around $90-$100 and what do you get?
    Here is a list of software that comes with it:

http://www.novell.com/products/linux...dex_group.html

I have to agree with techieMoe, you do have to have a hot rodder mindset sometimes, and be willing to learn something new. You are also free from the virus and spam problems that are a problem with windows.

If you want to try linux out and keep your windows you can grab a copy of a live cd. I used knoppix, but im sure they are all great.
    Registered Linux user #388374
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
    Albert Einstein, (1879 - 1955)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast