Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Actuallly, all of these schools used to use pascal compilers with DOS 5.0 (not so long ago), it makes me feel a tad sick, our goverment doesnt give a single ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Actuallly, all of these schools used to use pascal compilers with DOS 5.0 (not so long ago), it makes me feel a tad sick, our goverment doesnt give a single **** about Computer Science. They rename the class to IT and give it a ****** buisness maths class feel.

Just Joined!
    OK, I'll bite... high school computers course. Don't ask why I was there. I don't know.

Anyway, the county had been trying to crack down on kids pluging in headphones and streaming music, right? The teacher told us the only way we could listen to music was if we had a CD, because streaming was eating up to much bandwidth. I asked her about ripping music to the HD from CD. (I didn't mention I already had several gigs of music there) Our computers are fairly new with decent sized HD's, so I thought it might be ok. She says no, I must have an actual CD. I ask why. Afterall, the computers have plenty of room. The answer I expected was to be told that if everybody did it it would fill up the HD, but no! I was told... sit down guys... that it took up to much bandwidth. I stoped a minute, looked at her, and re-stated what I was talking about very clearly. Music... from CD... to HD. No internet involved. She said again, no. It takes up to much bandwidth. I politely correct her. She gets angry and tells me to call the county office if I don't believe her. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the head of our schools computer department.

Very very scary that our youth are learning their computer skills from this person...

Edit: They went through and cleaned out music people had on the HD. I made my music folder a "hidden" folder and it's still there. Sad.

that's pretty sad.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    While we're trading incompetent high school computer administrator stories, here's one my father told me (he's a band director and avid Macintosh fan):

Quote Originally Posted by TechieMoe's Dad
    So I went to the computer admin today and asked her whether our school network used DHCP. She said no, they use static IPs. I asked her if I could get a static IP in order to hook up my laptop [Apple PowerBook] to the network.

She said sure, until I showed her it was a Mac. She immediately clammed up and said she couldn't give me a static IP. When I asked why she said: "Because Macs will mess up our network."

I laughed in her face, went back to my office, and took the IP of the Windows machine in my office (provided by the school) and plugged in my Powerbook. Voila. The network hasn't been messed up for several months now.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Tonight at 11, Mac causes local school network to self-destruct!

So that's where that mushroom cloud came from...

Hehe, these are some funny and sad stories. I dont have any stories since I never took IT, since I didn't want to settup a mock business. But as far as I can see, the new IT teacher just roams the corridors shouting at people.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth
    2 years of BASIC Fallen Angel? Should we mourn for your passing?

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

-- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
    While I agree that 2 years of Basic is excessive I don't agree with
    the Dijkstra quote.For those not familiar with the name he's the author
    of the "goto considered harmful" paper.For one thing this does not
    meet with unanimous agreement.A lot depends on how one uses
    gotos.Second one can programme in Basic without using gotos.
    Again it depends on which dialect of Basic one uses.There
    are dialects with tools for structured programming.I started with
    Basic and I don't believe it gave me any bad habits.

By the way I don't have any funny stories to tell since I'm self-taught
    when it comes to computers.

Just Joined!
    Here they teach us how to use MS Word. Its just impressive. My teacher tells me that BASIC is way too complicated for us when i nicely asked him to teach us a language, like BASIC (not that i don't know, but half of my class wouldn't understand what printf does even it that was splattered in their faces).

Quote Originally Posted by Santa's little helper
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth
    2 years of BASIC Fallen Angel? Should we mourn for your passing?

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

-- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
    While I agree that 2 years of Basic is excessive I don't agree with
    the Dijkstra quote.For those not familiar with the name he's the author
    of the "goto considered harmful" paper.For one thing this does not
    meet with unanimous agreement.A lot depends on how one uses
    gotos.Second one can programme in Basic without using gotos.
    Again it depends on which dialect of Basic one uses.There
    are dialects with tools for structured programming.I started with
    Basic and I don't believe it gave me any bad habits.

By the way I don't have any funny stories to tell since I'm self-taught
    when it comes to computers.
    I too am self-taught, but I'm in freshman year of high school, and I am forced to take Computer Apps I/II. Trust me, I wouldn't be taking any of the programming courses at our school if I had a choice, except maybe Java.

Quote Originally Posted by eqisow
    Edit: They went through and cleaned out music people had on the HD. I made my music folder a "hidden" folder and it's still there. Sad.
    what did you called it, \window ?
    Quote Originally Posted by eqisow
    Tonight at 11, Mac causes local school network to self-destruct!

So that's where that mushroom cloud came from...
    actually this is from my college computer administration website.
    Can I run Linux on my University computer?

Yes, but please make sure you know what you are doing. Linux has a lot of advanced network features that can cause problems for the entire campus if configured incorrectly.
    I never have figured out how that could happen!
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast