Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by Vergil83 Can I run Linux on my University computer? Yes, but please make sure you know what you are doing. Linux has a lot of advanced network ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    Can I run Linux on my University computer?

Yes, but please make sure you know what you are doing. Linux has a lot of advanced network features that can cause problems for the entire campus if configured incorrectly.
    I never have figured out how that could happen!
    Haha. Well, I know misconfigured routers can wreak havoc on dorm networks, because my dorm had that trouble. I actually was the one who determined what the problem was because everyone else in the dorm was running MS Windows.

Apparently some very smart child (much sarcasm) had brought his DSL router to school to use as a hub. All fine and dandy except it was configured as a ROUTER with DHCP turned on and a pool of 5 addresses. Because the switch to the dorm wasn't configured to handle it, the entire dorm tried to connect to that one router for 5 addresses.

Since I was able to run ifdown eth0 and ifup eth0 from a console, we tracked down what room the router was in, busted in DEA-style (well not quite, the RA let us in) and unplugged the offending device.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    what did you called it, \window ?
    Actually, in Windows you can just right click a folder and make it hidden in much the same way that system files are hidden. Of course, you can change your view to show hidden folders, but yea...

Quote Originally Posted by eqisow
    what did you called it, \window ?
    Actually, in Windows you can just right click a folder and make it hidden in much the same way that system files are hidden. Of course, you can change your view to show hidden folders, but yea...
    that is right, I forgot. I always turn of that crap that hides system files....... so much more work than simply .name in linux
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Most of my funny college computer instructor stories involve large stacks of 80 column punch cards

Quote Originally Posted by JoeB
    Most of my funny college computer instructor stories involve large stacks of 80 column punch cards

like the time you got drunk with a hole puncher and ruined several hours of programming :P
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    My first programming language was Pascal. Don't knock it till you've tried it. It was a language designed to teach you programming languages in general, and judging from where I am today it did its job.
    I actually, went and took your advice. It seems a ok langauge, I dont have much expereince, but I want to learn, dont laugh this is my first attempt.

Code:
    (* My first pascal prog, enjoy! *)
       program Hello;
      const
    Name = 'tuvok';
    FirstLetter = 'a';
    Year = 2005;        
           var (* Variable Definition *)
      begin     (* Main *)
    writeln ('A load of useless **** jumbled up together to form this sentence so I can learn C easier.');
    readln (* Kills Process By Authority *)
    end.      (* End *)
    Sorry if it doesnt make much sense, but it's the best I can do atm.

It's been an awfully long time since I wrote Pascal, but I seem to remember needing this at the beginning:

Code:
    Program Blah (input, output)
    Of course, that may just be an old standard.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

From the sign in our CS room:

Inside C++ is a small, powerful language just waiting to get out.
    -- The C++ Textbook

Yes, and it's called Java.
    -- Many CS Students
    We're kinda lucky, I guess? We offer 3 years of Programming: C++ for 1st, then 2 years of Java. We have a separate web development class (but they use a WYSISYG editor, DAMN THEM!) and a separate Computer Apps course.

And the my CS teacher (the female one, head of the dept.) is trying to change all 3 years of Programming into Java.

Hrmm...

Here are the CS teachers at my school:

My teacher is a female CS teacher who is very nice, if a little unknowledgeable about OS's, and she is forced to sometimes cater to stupid people ("Wait! How do we put stuff on a stack again!?" "You push it..." "Can you explain?").

Another teacher is apparently a horrid teacher, and is also the Tennis Coach. He's a nice man, though.

Another teacher is the football coach. He took a short C++ course one summer because he needs to be a teacher at the school in order to coach.

And my friend definitely installed CounterStrike on the lab computers. When we're not doing anything in class, 3 kids boot up. Craziness.

Just Joined!
    Probably is, Ive been adding stuff to my test.pas file and recompiling it, while folllowing this tutorial, Ive only read 3 parts of it. I want to dip straight into it, like I did with html, and learn from hands-on, instead of reading about it all the time

Linux Engineer
    I started out in undergrad as a cs major. Had to change after the first semester though. During the first semester we had to take two cs courses: cs201 and cs220. cs220 was taught by a madman, probably the most knowledgeable coder that I will ever come into contact with. It was a c++ course, but by the end of one semester we had started assembling. We flew through projects and he could explain things so well.

the other course, cs201 was a computer applications course, howto use word, excel, ppt, whatever the office db program is, and [gasp]frontpage[/gasp]. This class was the only F I ever made...in my life...can you imagine this **** MWF 8:00...all semester. Well, since for some reason it was required course, and I frankly didn't have the heart to take it again I had to change majors; however, I still use C
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast