Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
My high school had only a limited number of computers and as a result of this my first programming class took place entirely without an actual computer. Writing all that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

My high school had only a limited number of computers and as a result of this my first programming class took place entirely without an actual computer. Writing all that code, with line numbers
    Code:
    10 sucks
    20 goto 10
    was so much fun on paper, and then to have a math teacher grade cuz she apparently knew what a computer looked like! I miss those far off halcyon days.
    registered linux user: 387197

Just Joined!
    I'm in middle school right now(16 years old),and we have computer classes.A bunch of my classmates don't even have a computer at home and never used one.(the teacher isn't much better than them)
    Teacher: How many of you have used a computer before(me and a few other classmates raise our hands)
    Teacher: Well,those of you who have may go out and play basketball or something,since you might find the next few lessons quite boring(class starts laughing)

after that,he allowed us play games.I asked him if I can install linux,and he asked me what kind of a game it is(he won't let us play M rated games,lol) and if it fits on the hard drive

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbaloo
    Writing all that code, with line numbers
    Code:
    10 sucks
    20 goto 10
    was so much fun on paper...
    Well , Stallman started out by writing programmes on paper so you
    may well have a bright programming future ahead of you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ESR > RMS

Linux Newbie
    I once booted up a Knoppix livecd, and my teacher yelled at me (yes, he actually yelled)
    What the hell is macintosh doing on my computer?!?
    I just sat there and cracked up for the rest of the class. He made my day.

Also, for all of you looking to switch your school to Linux, mention to the sysadmins that the average school saves way over $50,000 (that's what I've heard, but how credible a source it is I know not) a year by switching to open source, and that doesn't include the cost of the software/hardware. Also, show them skolelinux, show them their diskless workstations, the whole shindig, and I'm sure they'll be impressed, and at least willing to consider it and pass it on. That is, assuming you've been good little boys and girls with the networks, servers, and so forth.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    ESR > RMS
    care to elaborate, is RMS richard stallman?

Quote Originally Posted by zachtib
    ESR > RMS
    care to elaborate, is RMS richard stallman?
    RMS, ESR
    ESR > RMS
    Do you mean in programming or philosophy? RMS>ESR on both counts :P
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Code:
    (COND ((> EWD
              (+ RMS ESR))
           T)
          (T 'PIGS_FLY))
    It's a Dutch thing.

Also, for all of you looking to switch your school to Linux, mention to the sysadmins that the average school saves way over $50,000 (that's what I've heard, but how credible a source it is I know not) a year by switching to open source, and that doesn't include the cost of the software/hardware.
    50.000 dollars but not on software or hardware?
    Are you saying that Linux admins are much more cheaper than windows admins?
    Are you implying that managing open source systems is more easier than windows?
    So are you feeling like telling the admins that most of them are not necessary for the school network and that they could go home and become unemployed?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6