Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Anybody here have a humorous story to share of your Computer Teacher's stupidity/cluelessness? Here's something that happened today: In computer applications today, we started talking about the process of writing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The World's Greatest Computer Teacher

Anybody here have a humorous story to share of your Computer Teacher's stupidity/cluelessness? Here's something that happened today:

In computer applications today, we started talking about the process of writing software. We got to the part of how source code becomes machine code, and she said this:
    "There are three ways of taking source-code and making it run. One of them is an Interpreter, one is a Compiler which we will be using and one is an Assembler, which nobody uses anymore except maybe on large mainframes."
    I move to correct her at his, but she says "And maybe you use it, Andy, but nobody else does".

Provided me with quite a laugh.
    Cheers,
    -lakerdonald

Alrighty...

I'm in a high school AP Java class, and some kid had just gotten a haircut. And we were commenting on it, and my teacher said "Well, we could always just extend the Hair class!". And it was geeky on a level never before experienced.

As a random trivia note: I have a female CS teacher. And she's head of the dept. Craziness.

Just Joined!
    I am at a project-related school in the Netherlands, and we don't have classes, but projects which involves working very hard and having to pay for working very hard

Neither do we have teachers, but we have coaches, and what for pathetic ones do we have.
    One coach, tried to spend his summer on a Java course, he quit after 2 weeks because he couldn't get it (if you can't get Java, then there is no hope for you :P) but he comes back with the book "Java for Dummies" *shudder* which he completely filled with bookmarks, notes, etc.
    And he still doesn't get it!

He even claims Java is the compiled version of Javascript.

"Well, we could always just extend the Hair class!"

Linux User
    ey i got one!

i think this was when i was still a sohpie.. . it was Java for that sem and for our finals, we were to submit, of course, a program written in java! this didn't happen to me but to my classmate BTW.

anyway, the teacher looked at her code and asked:

why did you use "setEditable" (she read it as set edit table) in your code? i don't see any tables anywhere in your program?

hahahaha....

my poor classmate didn't know what to do... she couldn't laugh as much as she wanted to, so she just stared at the teacher!

Registered User #345074

Well this is a freshman computer class, and then next year we learn programming. Here's what they think they should teach us:
    -HTML
    -Javascript
    -C++
    -Java

I'm sorry but HTML and Javascript don't belong with Programming. And I think that they should at least offer C, because I like C a lot better than C++....Oh well. And to think that a couple years back our high school had a UNIX Network. If only I had attended high school then.

Linux User
    In our country Windows is the main OS in schools (and the only). I say to my teacher that I don't care about Windows cause I use Linux (she only knows that it's an OS). lakerdonald you should be happy with your languages, look what I have to stand:

-Basic
    -Basic (again)
    -Pascal
    -and in the forth year finally C
    I'm second year now and there are so many stupidities of the teachers, here is one:

"MS-DOS is the first OS"

I laughed so much that she kicked me out.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel
    In our country Windows is the main OS in schools (and the only). I say to my teacher that I don't care about Windows cause I use Linux (she only knows that it's an OS). lakerdonald you should be happy with your languages, look what I have to stand:

-Basic
    -Basic (again)
    -Pascal
    -and in the forth year finally C
    I'm second year now and there are so many stupidities of the teachers, here is one:

"MS-DOS is the first OS"

I laughed so much that she kicked me out.
    Pascal? Well thats a classic, actually how can MS-DOS be definied as the first OS? Computers span back to the 1940's. For a start, UNIX came before MS-DOS, so MS Is out of the equation. I agree it is most humorous. Unforutantley, at british schools (if you are refering to a high school not college), we dont learn any languages. They gave us a saturated 2 week html (yes html) 2-part lesson using MS Frontpage (yep we have IT once a week), infact one teacher had a moan because I was using the coder instead of using design, and that was it. At the school we are running Windows Server 2000, on 2.0ghz machines, before they were running i586's. I don't get on with the admin very well due to the fact she's a moron, infact I had a little fun with the network once, but thats another story .

Just Joined!
    2 years of BASIC Fallen Angel? Should we mourn for your passing?

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

-- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My first programming language was Pascal. Don't knock it till you've tried it. It was a language designed to teach you programming languages in general, and judging from where I am today it did its job.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Pascal was cool. It's the first language I learned to program in.

Sorry, no-one probably cares about that
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast