Find the answer to your Linux question:
First thing's first - I'm new here so a big Hi! to everyone. Now to my point: I've travelled quite a bit around Europe and met a lot of people ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware - a British/Irish thing?

First thing's first - I'm new here so a big Hi! to everyone.

Now to my point: I've travelled quite a bit around Europe and met a lot of people from LUGs and so on, and I've noticed that there seems to be geographical areas where certain distros are more prevalent. Germans tend to use SuSe, people I've met in northern France all seem to use Vector Linux or College Linux (really!), and so on. I've also noticed that loads of British/Irish users swear by Slackware. Has anyone else noticed this? I've got a theory about this, but I'd like to hear what other people think first.

Linux Guru
    Everyone says the British are mad Oh well, i guess their right Slackware was make by a German guy i thought? Patrick Volkerding or something similar.

No idea why people from a particular country prefer one distro over another.

Welcome to the site btw.

Jason

Just Joined!
    the japanese and chinese seem to be quite partial to turbo linux come to think of it...

and yeh, british/irish people are great. they use slack :P

Just Joined!
    PLEASE NO HAZING!!! I'm mentioning this fact just to validate my ethnicity... :::
    I have many members of my family in the IRA.. My family is all about Ireland.. and me and my uncle both use Slackware. (My Uncle still lives on the great island)

Michael