Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i know this isnt exactly anything to due with linux and i wasnt sure where to post it, but i just picked up a second monitor. My motherboard is an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Monitor Support

i know this isnt exactly anything to due with linux and i wasnt sure where to post it, but i just picked up a second monitor. My motherboard is an intel 865 G and i have a radeon 9600 128mb 8x AGP, well i put that video card in when i built this pc and its nice, then i wanted to add another monitor so that id have two, i asked around if there were any special type of splitter cables or anything and from what ive heard there isnt. I was told however i could plug this monitor into my existing onboard video card, but i dont know how to get it to put out any power with my AGP card installed. The bios has settings "..boot with pci or AGP..." it doesnt even have an area for onboard settings, the only setting it has is "...use ##mb of onboard ram for AGP..."

i dont know what to do besides buy another video card such as a PCI card

to all who know, i just want the second monitor for like, AIM or typing stuff or editing my server/website. i dont need it to be fast enough for gaming.

Just Joined!
    Are you using Windows or Linux? I ask because you mentioned using Omega drivers in the other thread... I know most new cards have dual moniter capabilities... not sure about a 9600 though, but I can check. What do you mean put out any power? You have both moniters pluged into the 9600 atm, correct?

Edit: NM, on the windows question, saw your other post.

Just Joined!
    my 9600 has 3 outputs, that new monitor type, S-Video, and regular monitor cord (dont know the names)

i have one monitor plugged into the 9600, once into the onboard video

(yes im running windows, sry should have specified )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    That new moniter type you mentioned *should* be DVI, correct? Well, you should have gotten a little converter with your card to turn that DVI into a nice standard CRT plug. If you can find that, plug both moniters into the 9600. After that it's just a matter of messing with the ATI control panel settings.

Just Joined!
    idk if i got one, might have tho, ill check the box (i save everything) also, its an ATI, radeon 9600... ati, what nVidia settings?

Just Joined!
    I meant ATI settings, I went back and changed it. Sorry.

Tuv, what's scary about goshem's avatar? lol

Just Joined!
    heh, nice, and btw i just checked my box... and i dont have one, but there is one advertised in the manual i believe, doesnt say i should have one, just that u can use it. did i get gipped a year or two ago? lole

edit, just checked the box and it says "included - card, manual, cd" so i didnt.

Just Joined!
    I don't know... perhaps. I had a 9600XT and I got one with it. I'm not sure if you can buy them, I've never looked. I would assume so though. If not I actually have 2 sitting around...

Edit: DVI to VGA converter

Just Joined!
    Lol, no prob Goshem, good luck getting things working. Let us know if there's any more trouble.

Edit: Is there an ignore list for these forums? :\

Just Joined!
    dammmmnnnn radioshack wants $24.99 for some POS one... i cant wait to get it grrr maybe walmart will have one

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast