Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I switched the OS on my main machine from WinXP to Suse9.2 about a week ago. Basically I am so exited about it that I feel compelled to write ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    vmh
    Just Joined!

Why I Chose Linux

Hello. I switched the OS on my main machine from WinXP to Suse9.2 about a week ago. Basically I am so exited about it that I feel compelled to write this account of my experiences so far.

I do not regret doing the switch one bit. I have an ancient Red Had distro on an older system that I have used as a file server for some years, so I have managed to gain some experience in using Linux along the way.

I do love the fact how much I can customize the look of the system. I am a minimalist when it comes to desktops and found the Windows GUI a bit too... well... uncomfortable. With Linux and KDE, I can focus on doing things instead of trying to figure out how to do them. I do a lot of programming over SSH, and was actually concerned if this was possible with Linux. Thanks to the miracle of fish:// and sftp:// I can use my remote files as if they were local.

All in all, even though Linux has IMHO long ago lost it's "only-for-programmers" stigma, underneath the surface one can still see that it is an operating system written by programmers for programmers. It can do pretty much anything at least as well as Windows does, and while doing so, it's programmer friendliness makes my life a lot easier.

The only downside is that I can't seem to be able to get my Radeon 9550's 3D acceleration to work and I propably can't play GTA3 without booting into XP, but I don't really mind. I can live without 3d screensavers and this way I spend more time doing something productive instead of playing games. All the same really, since I do have Dosbox and all the best games were made during the DOS era anyway...

Good job for making the switch . I have not been able to make a complete switch but I am getting there (dual booting with XP). Hopefully, I will make the complete switch this summer and become a full-fledged Linux user.

Glad to hear that you are having a good time and best of luck.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    too bad for me...because my modem is conexant...i need a job to buy a modem for linux....so my linux becomes my workstation and windows for games.....

Just Joined!
    I had the honor of getting a USR pci hardmodem on ebay for $25. I guess no body but open source geeks are in the market for hardmodems