Find the answer to your Linux question:
while waiting for a long install to finish I was looking out into space. to my left: a cd of knoppix with a boot disk to my right: a p-90mhz ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

new life to an old machine

while waiting for a long install to finish I was looking out into space.

to my left: a cd of knoppix with a boot disk
    to my right: a p-90mhz 32mb laptop running (or trying to run) win 95 but mostly collecting dust

I figure that I might as well so I insert both discs and then step out of the room to find something to eat.

I return to find it hasn't finished booting yet so I leave again. (I do this a few times)

3 hours and a few minutes later it starts kde.

but i think that simply running linux isn't enough I have got to have done something with it. so I start kwrite.

I wait another 30mins.

then type "thats enough of that" and turn the machine off.

*I would try another distro like DSL but this machines one purpose is to run a scanner that has really poor software that only works with win95. (and sometimes not even then) I should probably just go spend $30 on a new one so I can take a hammer to this paperweight.

I like the hammer idea .

How old is that laptop? If I were you, I would do like you suggest and get a new scanner.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    You could install kdrive (VERY light-weight and easy-to-configure X-server) and fluxbox (pretty light-weight windowmanager) and links2 with a X-driver (very light-weight browser) and perhaps also ctorrent (commandline bittorrent-client) and such stuff to make it a useful computer... But I would'nt run a graphical-livecd, a pentium2 computer over here could'nt start KDM from the mepis-livecd

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    I would give an older version of vector a try. I currently have thier version 3.2 running on an old laptop with a pentium 166 32mgs of ram and 1.5Gb hard drive.

Main site
    http://www.vectorlinux.com/
    comparisson chart
    http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...ion_table.html
    Long live the revolution!
    Have a nice day.
    If you want real change vote Libertarian!

The newest version of Vector should be fine, too...just use IceWM instead of KDE and you should do pretty well.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Engineer
    And like I said try KDrive! I tested it, VERY lightweight... But you can't expect opengl-apps and stuff to work properly

Linux User
    Man, you are really patient guy!
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.