Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Well, I figured I might as well introduce myself since it seems as if I will be coming here quite regularly. I am a long time user of Windows, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Im New To Linux, Please Forgive My Stupidity

Well, I figured I might as well introduce myself since it seems as if I will be coming here quite regularly. I am a long time user of Windows, but have become tired of the crap I get from it. Things seem to have a problem all the time. I went searching for an alternative and RedHat seemed like a nice choice. Well, it seems that its much harder than I thought and I wont be able to just jump right in. So, here I am

Im just your average bum. 21 years old and searching for my place in life. In between jobs, just got discharged from the Army, and looking into college. Nothing too spectacular

Linux Guru
    wassup dude

a big welcome to the wonderful world of linux!

Jason

I'll second that.

Good luck and have fun

Nerderello

"20 years out of the Air Force (R.A.F)"

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Newbie
    Welcome!

and don't worry about the whole bum thing, i fit right in there with ya.

and doesn't the US armed forces suck sometimes? eh .. im in the air guard, so luckily im not a full time Uncle Sam's B!@#$%
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, the Armed Forces can be a pain sometimes. However, I do hope I get back there in a couple years. I was discharged for asthma, and am allowed to rejoin in 2 years. Its just something that is unfinished and I think I need to get through it. Unfinished business or whatever

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Depending on your mos, a contractor maybe interested in you.

Asthma isn't usually temporary in adults. I didn't get it until I was 16 years old, now I'm 42 and still have it.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    Depending on your mos, a contractor maybe interested in you.

Asthma isn't usually temporary in adults. I didn't get it until I was 16 years old, now I'm 42 and still have it.
    Well I wasnt in long enough to really get any training. They caught it in time to get me out

And yeah, I know its not temporary. I will always have it. Ive had it as a kid. But I do know, that its nowhere close to as bad as it was. I used to have to go to the hospital when I was a kid because it was so severe. I could barely get to school......which was a block away....without using a machine. The thing is, when I took the test I was within the limits, but with my history the doctor recommended my discharge. In 2 years, if I can get that test down a couple %, then im fine. I can do it. And if not, then I will reevaluate my life then

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Passing the basic physical will be alot easier that trying finish the regular 15 mile marchs at 4:00 am with 90 lbs on your back of crap during basic during Winter in New Jersey.

Alambma was just as physical minus the 90 lbs on my back but dramtically more acdemic.

But that was the Army, not the AF.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    welcome welcome

tell me, do they use *nix in the army still? or have they been converted to some other sh!te? (*cough* MS) or did you not really get involved with that side of things?

welcome all the same Mr. Hotwheelz

Just Joined!
    I overheard some old guy in a computer store yesterday saying he has a copy of the "Special edition of windows 98" the armed forces currently uses for their most secure data.. I stopped him and says "I've cracked many windows computers in less then an hour that had "'hundreds of dollars"' worth of security equipment, I can assure you they are using something different" and i handed them my business card that has a picture of tux and under it says "Linux Now available" on it. LOL .. you should have seen his face!

Michael

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast