Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, i am posting this message in the hope that someone (or some group) might be able to do something regarding my (our) problem. the issue is on the widespread ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Barrier to Linux Adoption

hello,

i am posting this message in the hope that someone (or some group) might be able to do something regarding my (our) problem.

the issue is on the widespread use of winmodems in our country (and in most of the developing countries). while people from the us/europe and developed countries have broadband access, most of the users from the rest of the world depend on dial-up using modems. and more often than not, winmodems. why, because winmodems are dirt cheap (US$7), and because of that, comes in almost all computers that are sold, whether notebooks or desktops. and the most common chipset for them is conexant.

as most of you know, conexant winmodems don't work right off the box of any linux distro. you can get from the net drivers for the 2.4 kernel, but not for 2.6. you would have to buy the driver from linuxant for US$14.99, or get an external (serial) modem for around US$25. to me, and i believe others, it is frustrating that i could get the OS practically free by downloading it, but i couldn't get a piece of hardware to work for free. and i guess this frustration is shared by so many more who have given up on a wonderfully promising software just because the modem won't work.

i am a newbie, though i have tried several distros. i have made my conexant winmodem work in red hat/mandrake using 2.4 kernels. i am now testing ubuntu, and since it using kernel 2.6, i couldn't get it to work. i have decided to pay for the linuxant driver, but i need to download the kernel source. but how can i download the source, when i couldn't get my modem to work?

so i hope there would be some people out there who could take the extra effort to build drivers for conexant modems. they are here to stay for a long time, and will continue to be a barrier to linux adoption by the average user.

thanks.

Why should a for-profit company spend resources on something that they are not going to get any return out of.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Why should a for-profit company spend resources on something that they are not going to get any return out of.
    Of course not everyone writes drivers for profit - if they did, there would be fewer open source drivers available. Some 'for profit' companies write Linux drivers - 3com for example, though these are not so easy to install: not for me anyway.

If you are concerned, why not get a petition together and send it to the manufacturer. On your own you are a fanatic, in a small group you are a faction ... in your 100s or 1000s you are an organisation

What's interesting is that most people assume that organisations are usually 'for profit'. This is not always true ... America is particularly good in this way, and the UK Government are apparently very interested in learning from the US 'not for profit' model which helps to keep that big place 'over the pond' from self destructing. :o
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Re: Barrier to Linux Adoption

Quote Originally Posted by adajar99
    so i hope there would be some people out there who could take the extra effort to build drivers for conexant modems. they are here to stay for a long time, and will continue to be a barrier to linux adoption by the average user.
    thanks.
    The problem that a lot of people don't realize is not that there aren't people out there willing to write Linux drivers for devices. There are millions of programmers out there that would be more than happy to fire up a driver for a Broadcom wireless card or a Conexant Winmodem. The problem is that in order to write a driver for a device you need to do one of two things: either get the hardware specifications from the manufacturer, or take the MS Windows driver and reverse engineer it. One of these ways is legal, one of these is not in most countries.

Until companies that make these devices either release Linux drivers or release the specifications necessary for the open-source community to make their own, there really is no other legal avenue for drivers like these to be made. As was suggested earlier, don't bother asking the community to make drivers that they simply cannot make, instead encourage the companies that make these devices (either with petitions or otherwise) to make Linux drivers or make the necessary information availabe to OSS developers.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Have you tried ndiswrapper? It makes my wireless card windows driver work in linux.