Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Seems Microsoft is at it again. They're granting exclusive licensing deals to companies that have promising technological concepts. Kaefer said the company will model partnerships after a deal it recently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Technology Licensing - Microsoft strikes again

Seems Microsoft is at it again. They're granting exclusive licensing deals to companies that have promising technological concepts.

Kaefer said the company will model partnerships after a deal it recently launched with Inrix Inc., a Redmond-based company founded by former Microsoft and online travel agency Expedia Inc. employees.

Last month, Inrix bought an exclusive license from Microsoft for technology that helps predict traffic patterns.
    I have serious issues with this and feel this will kill competition outright if it's allowed to continue. Unfortunately, DoJ will probably sit on its arse until it's too late.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Never mind, if Bill and his mates go on like this, they might become the victims of Karoshi!

Edit: And anyway, their little deal might not work.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I see no need in worrying about something Linux already has alternatives to.

Linux Engineer
    You're missing the point. MS is granting "exclusive" licensing to these folks. Meaning they're locked in to Windows. There will be no additional ports for whatever is developed from that company.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af
    You're missing the point. MS is granting "exclusive" licensing to these folks. Meaning they're locked in to Windows. There will be no additional ports for whatever is developed from that company.
    I haven't missed it. As history has taught us, no one is locked into Windows who hasn't chosen to be.

Linux Newbie
    The point is: Microsoft still does its best to be a monopoly. The Supreme Court needs to determine that flagrant attempt to violate laws constitutes a violation. As per some strange piece of law that says law should prevent more than punish.
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

From my understanding of that article, if these vendors sign a contract with MS, they are locked in to Windows.
    I am pretty sure that is B.G.'s aim.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Exactly. And what's worse, if another company tries to break into the same technological area, they'll be unable to compete with the original company because of the exclusive contract.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

LOL. You got to be kidding.

Agreements will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis, giving Microsoft part ownership in startups that buy rights to the company's technology, royalty payments, or both, said David Kaefer, director of business development for Microsoft's intellectual property and licensing group.
    So what does this mean? As long as you are USING the license. Let me make an example......say you are Microsoft certified, you are not limited to install ONLY Windows computers. Simply quit using the technology. Damn, what do you have to fear? Linux users say that their product is better, well then start acting like it. Microsoft has already induced fear upon you and already won by doing that. If you know Linux is better than what do you have to FEAR? Tell me. Microsoft's marketing strategy? It can easily be countered by a better product and simple support. Fear is something that Microsoft and it's users don't have for us, and this is just why.

Linux Engineer
    You haven't worked with contract law much have you? When a company enters into a contractual agreement, you are bound by that agreement. To break that agreement could break the company.

Here's an example. Company X develops a new technology (let's say face recognition) and it's determined to be foolproof. Microsoft contacts the company, and they enter into an exclusive contract. That company is now bound by that contract to use only Microsoft software.

Meanwhile, Company Z figures out a way to create the same software, totally independent of Company X. Because of the contract with Company X, Microsoft will not work with, or license the use of their products for Company Z.

In essence, Company Z is now going to go belly up, because they no longer have access to the largest share of the market and there's no way they're going to recoup research and development costs by selling to Linux users.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast