Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I like this line . . . In fall 2003, Microsoft briefly considered buying Google, only to realize that even if Brin, Page, and their board could have been persuaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I like this line . . .
    In fall 2003, Microsoft briefly considered buying Google, only to realize that even if Brin, Page, and their board could have been persuaded to sell—which seemed unlikely—Microsoft would have been left to explain to the world why it was now running a search engine built entirely on Linux instead of Windows.
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.

Quote Originally Posted by LBmtb
    I like this line . . .
    In fall 2003, Microsoft briefly considered buying Google, only to realize that even if Brin, Page, and their board could have been persuaded to sell—which seemed unlikely—Microsoft would have been left to explain to the world why it was now running a search engine built entirely on Linux instead of Windows.
    Me too. If it was a little shorter I woul d make it my signature. hehe
    I think some perspectives got warped a little. We don't hate M$ because they are huge we hate them because the product isn't the best for the money and the way they do business.
    I think if google gets huge buy producing a superior product, then we can still like them. It is when they try and take over the world and doing shady business and producing an inferior product that I don't like
    My 2 cents.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Guru
    Lets not forget that Google are far from perfect... there is a LOT more going on at Google than just a free search engine...

Let looksee, in the past 3 days only we have had political bias, complaints about poor customer service from their advertisers, issues with google branded spyware, and complaints about search engine spam.

There are also a lot of ongoing issues with the way google do business and treat its partners, including stealing clients from Ad agencies and their ongoing inability to comunicate with others

Linux Engineer
    Gates says that when Microsoft is done integrating search into future versions of Windows and Office, the world will look back at the way we are now "Googling" for stuff on the Internet and laugh. "The idea that you type in these words [in the search box] that aren't sentences and you don't get any answers—you just get back all these things you have to click on—that is so antiquated," he says, later adding, "We need to take search way beyond how people think of it today and just have it be naturally available, based on the task they want to do." For example, if you wanted to look up a factoid while you were writing a document, you might search for it without ever leaving Word.

A little to big brotherish--of course google are not champions either
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Enthusiast
    I read another article somewhere where Bill Gates was interested in buying nintendo

Google may not be perfect, but as I see it, they get the job done. The Google search engine, as the article mentioned, is exactly what we need: a box, a button, and a logo. They have special searches, and even very entertaining things

http://www.google.com/googlegulp/

However, their GMail really is the greatest. A simple interface, a wonderful message organization, a huge storage, and the ability to run on ANYTHING. I have accessed GMail through Lynx, it is that awesome.

Certainly, Google has its flaws. And as it grows, a close eye will need to be kept to ensure that it remains such a good company. However, at their current state, I think we can agree that we love Google.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    It is when they try and take over the world and doing shady business and producing an inferior product that I don't like
    Speaking of shady business...
    http://www.pcwelt.de/know-how/sicher...30/index1.html
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Just Joined!

microsoft trying to take over the world.

From what I've heard of Longhorn (and my own bad experiences with WinXP), that's why I'm dipping my toes into Linux now...for future eradication of M$ from my computer. I'm using Win98, and that ought to be good enough...if M$ would spend less time creating bloatware, and more time making something halfway secure, we wouldn't need to buy new computers every six months (or so it seems).

Just Joined!
    Referring to the earlier-mentioned possibility of Google becoming the next Microsoft...

I'm just pulling this from rough memory, so please correct me if I'm wrong: IBM used to be considered a huge tyrant, like Microsoft is today... and didn't Microsoft essentially take over IBM's position, to the relief of the open-sourcerers, much like Google is threatening to do to Microsoft today?

Chandler

Linux User
    When any company gets a monopolistic hold on a market it tends to turn into a carnivore, either driving off, or attacking every other species that tries eating at the same table. IBM did it, M$ are doing it, AOhelL did it. Eventually the new kid on the block, maybe Google, maybe someone else, is going to do it to.
    registered linux user: 387197

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast