Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Wolfman88 I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain this. My friend has multiple computers set up. One which he calls FLY TRAP, is kept on, connected ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman88
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain this.

My friend has multiple computers set up. One which he calls FLY TRAP, is kept on, connected to the internet, completely open. He actually wants that computer to get infected. He studies viri, worms, and trojans. His ultimate dream is to someday make an antivirus program that self replicates and sends copies out to every computer it's connected to, checks for the virus it's based off, cleaning as needed, propagate again, then delete itself. In short he wants everyone to have some degree of protection whether they like it or not.
    It was just reported in the news that Microsoft has signed a deal with a company that is going to offer this kind of service to all those folks out there who for whatever reason cannot/will not clean and maintain their own system. The difference from your friend though is that they are going charge for this service!!!
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Quote Originally Posted by rong
    The difference from your friend though is that they are going charge for this service!!!

Well it also sounds likes what his friend is doing is completely involuntary where as not only is that company's service you have to ask for it, but you also have ot pay for it. Damn M$.

Just Joined!
    /me adds another reason to the list of why he'll never go back to using Windows.

Just Joined!
    I can't say I agree with his reasoning or his methods 100% either. Win users should be more involved in security, but they won't. Thats why he's doing this. The other reason is because he likes to undermine M$.

Banned

My friend has multiple computers set up. One which he calls FLY TRAP, is kept on, connected to the internet, completely open. He actually wants that computer to get infected. He studies viri, worms, and trojans. His ultimate dream is to someday make an antivirus program that self replicates and sends copies out to every computer it's connected to, checks for the virus it's based off, cleaning as needed, propagate again, then delete itself. In short he wants everyone to have some degree of protection whether they like it or not.
    Isn't that illegal as well?

Just Joined!
    As of now it is but he's banking on that changing before he get this project up and running. Right now he's working on a way to make it harder to turn the anti viruses back into viruses. It'll be some time though, as this isn't his only project.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jens

It's no different than Windows Update, forcing you to upgrade to their newest crappy SP.

Just Joined!
    But I don't use the updates. All they do for me is cause a few of my programes not to work and put more holes in. Oh wait, thats the point.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jens

It probably is unless you're M$
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2