Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
This isnt what people want to hear, but really windows dosent have as many problems. Why? Because of us, if you want to customize it things will start breaking if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

This isnt what people want to hear, but really windows dosent have as many problems. Why? Because of us, if you want to customize it things will start breaking if you dont know what you're doing or if you do something wrong. Windows wont have this problem because they give you one solid piece of work but leave for no customization. People that do customize windows are smart enough to fix their problems without searching google. Besides, its unnatural, people dont do it enough to have it online. Im sure that a linux distro could be made that would never have a problem. Only problem with that is you get to do one thing, install and run. Like a dns server or mail server, something like that. But who runs dns on their computer and just sits there and watches it? For hell sure, it will run better than windows could dream of, but you arent going to get to have any fun. Nobody wants a non-customizable linux because that is the feature many leave windows for. And yet, people that use linux are often just coming from windows and arent afraid to ask questions or search google for them. Its just that time in their lives. Got it?
    Registered Linux user #390336

Have you though how many people use each distro? A google search is not the best way to get this info. For example, there are thousands of servers running various distros for years on end without problems. I think distrowatch is probably a good indicator of distro use on the desktop. Also, I think that the more 'newbie' oriented distros will probably score higher, as there are more people asking questions about them and more people having 'problems'.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Actually, if you go to the Microsoft site and visit there forums, you will see just how many problems they have.
    You think linuxquestions.org gets too busy, that is slow compared to the Microsoft forums, at least compared to when I was a XP user and had to go there for problem-solving.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley/g
    This isnt what people want to hear, but really windows dosent have as many problems.
    it is true that you can set up a windows machine to run without crashing (despite what you hear in the forum). it fact I have but win 98 on a 486 with office97, autocad13 ,starcraft (which was too slow for it but it didn't crash), mp3s (again too slow), mp3 to wav convert. and anything else I wanted that could fit on the harddrive (1 gb). it never crashed

BUT, it was never connected to the internet. this is where windows has problems. windows can't handle obsurce programs from one man dev teams, viruses, spyware, and the other plagues of the internet. linux can. if this was a poll of random computer users stratafied into operating systems I think that the results would clearly show the satifacation is in linux and not windows.

o and I also disagree with your statement, any operating system that dies if it fails to download updates (because it updates as it downloads) and take the whole system with it in such a way that 3 a+ certified people can not bring it back without wipeing the harddrive then that operating system has issues.

A operating system has to be pretty badly mucked up to where I(Yes I am A+ certified) couldn't bring it back.
    I couldn't imagine how bad it would have to get in order for 3 A+ certified people couldn't bring it back without formatting.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux User
    That's the whole point: ease of use and reliability (less frequent 'problems') will be apparent from these results.
    I'm sorry, but I don't think you're understanding the concept of reliability in a roll your own distro like Arch, Gentoo, or Debian. If you misconfigure something and that causes problems, that's not a reliability issue, that's a user error.

If a distributor misconfigures something and that causes problems, THAT'S a reliability issue, in a roll your own or user friendly distro. Obviously, it's inherently more likely in a user friendly distro because the distributor is forced to configure more things by default. Yet in a roll your own distro you'll have more problems (per user) come up on forums because individuals will have more difficulty configuring things, because there's more to configure.

But all of that aside, a roll your own style distro, with a competent user, will generally have higher reliability simply because it's configured specifically for the intended application. For example, if you aren't sharing with Windows machines you don't have SMB support installed by default, like in Ubuntu, and I'm assuming Fedora, Mandriva, and all the other user friendly distros. Not that it's not necessary for the intended audience, but every extraneous package installation has a chance of causing a real reliability issue.

That all said using a collection of synonyms will help even out the results simply because having a higher number of results will help average any anomalies. For example, people of a certain mindset, those who like simplicity, minimalism, and self empowerment tend to use Arch. People who like everything done for them by default will use Linspire. People who want to have things set to sane defaults, but have the power left in their hands choose Ubuntu. Obviously that's not all encompassing, and there's some personal opinion involved in the categorization, but the point is that people of similar mindsets tend to choose like distributions. Assume people of similar mindsets also have similar patterns of speech. Also, patterns of speech will also be adopted over time from one to another in a single forum, sometimes dedicated to a single distribution. Therefore, some distributions will have more results in bug, another in problem, and another in issue. You'd just be averaging that kind of thing out of your results.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    A operating system has to be pretty badly mucked up to where I(Yes I am A+ certified) couldn't bring it back.
    I couldn't imagine how bad it would have to get in order for 3 A+ certified people couldn't bring it back without formatting.
    It might have to be windows.

and

That's the whole point: ease of use and reliability (less frequent 'problems') will be apparent from these results.
    Thats kind of what I was saying before, which is why windows isnt that bad as long as you dont touch it. I never had malware on my 2003 box, and it actually ran pretty well. I didnt do anything risky though, and I had to pay attention to what was going on, and not install much software, but isnt that what microsoft says to do? It works, but you arent getting anything out of your computer. Might as well just put it in a box and say you never had a single problem with it and it always ran just as it did when you installed the operating system on it.
    Registered Linux user #390336

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley/g
    Might as well just put it in a box and say you never had a single problem with it
    nicely said

Not that I would ever defend windows, but that is how I make my living. Putting Windows systems back to a workable condition.
    And a system has to be really mucked up to where i can't make it work again without formatting.

Except one computer I had to fix that had WinME on it.
    I formatted that and put XP on it.
    These people had to have there AOL.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

try going to www.googlefight.com
    the first linux distro i ever used was red hat 9
    i like red hat cuz the red hat is sexy....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast