Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
why googlefight? lol i used it as a chat room fo a few hours now...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

why googlefight? lol i used it as a chat room fo a few hours now
    Registered Linux user #390336

Linux Newbie
    If you misconfigure something and that causes problems, that's not a reliability issue, that's a user error.
    Oh really? Think again. Most users have computers to DO something with it -hence a 'turn key' ready to run computer will have fewer 'problems' than one that means hours of configuration. The test is by and for 'newbies'. Server room linux boxes are configured by experts and left to run. But ask any expert and they will tell which OS is easiest to setup and configure.

BTW the test used the word 'problems' being statistically the word most likely used to describe -you guessed it- a problem. Recently introduced words like 'bugs' ,also 'error' and so on could be substituted. What surprises me is no one pointed out the obvious: the use of a plural rather than singular. After all, many more post about a 'problem'.

If anyone is truly interested (because this is valuable analysis) for accuracy (not sophistry) the google search should be conducted with the same BOOLEANS, and SYNONYMS. Then average the results.

Of course using different SEARCH WORDS will yield different results. Also newly introduced Distros will differ from more established ones. Nonetheless, notice how it shows that WinMilleniumEdition had more problems than Win2000 which reflects the reality.
    See how liveCD distros like kNOPPIX fare well.

Linux Newbie
    this is because the search "windows" found windows os and windows (glass), fedora = hat , mandrake = plant, and harry potter refrence
    That's non-sense: If you know anything about a search engine like google or for that matter how to use a search engine, a search pattern of eg. 'Mandrake Linux problems' will yield hits whereby ALL the words listed occur. Thus it is a statiscally insignificant number of hits that will mention problems and mandrake (as in the plant), and Linux in the same URL.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

<<you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink>>

Linux User
    I'm sorry, I disagree, blaming a distribution for failing where it's not intended isn't fair, and not at all when you're talking about user error.

I do agree that most users have a computer to just use it, but why on earth would someone like that be using Arch, Slackware, or Gentoo? I got into Arch when the workings of Linux weren't quite fitting together in my mind, yet. I got myself into a lot of trouble, and broke a lot of things. Only once was it a reliability issue in the distribution, and even then I did something stupid (synced my packages without enough disk space).

I really don't understand why you're talking down to people who are trying to help you refine your results.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalani
    this is because the search "windows" found windows os and windows (glass), fedora = hat , mandrake = plant, and harry potter refrence
    That's non-sense: If you know anything about a search engine like google or for that matter how to use a search engine, a search pattern of eg. 'Mandrake Linux problems' will yield hits whereby ALL the words listed occur. Thus it is a statiscally insignificant number of hits that will mention problems and mandrake (as in the plant), and Linux in the same URL.
    this is correct if you use the AND operator you reduce false positives but in doing so you increase the number of false negitives. note how in the orginal fedora + core was listed as the worst and fedora is listed best, this is because you will have to apply the same amount of conditions to each search string the only real way that effectively does this is by placeing 'linux' in both strings. The real problem is that this was never a good way to gather data (just a fast way (I like fast but I don't pay too much heed to it) ) your not going to get more accurate by refineing this technique. if you want results start a poll with "which distro is easy / few bugs / problems whatever.

Linux Engineer
    Perhaps a better method of judging operating system reliability would be uptime; something along the lines of Netcraft's longest uptime list:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

Google searches don't account for PEBKAC - supposed "problems" reported about certian operating systems or GNU/Linux distributions might in fact be problems the with the user (i.e. he/she is not experienced) rather than problems with the operating system.

These Google searches also don't account for distro popularity. Popular distros will have more "problems" according to Google simply because they have more users to report them.

Linux Newbie
    Google searches don't account for PEBKAC - supposed "problems" reported about certian operating systems or GNU/Linux distributions might in fact be problems the with the user (i.e. he/she is not experienced) rather than problems with the operating system.

These Google searches also don't account for distro popularity. Popular distros will have more "problems" according to Google simply because they have more users to report them.
    1. <<he/she experienced>> now ask yourself why windows has 90% of desktops. I have linux in my box. But all this talk of Linux being the better OS completly ignores the needs of most users:to switch on and go, plug and play and get something done- I know that's a difficult concept to grasp but given time maybe...

2.<<Popular distros will have more problems>> Wrong there- the math is not with you: Check the results again- popular distros (and Windows) do yield large numbers of problems but in proportion, large number of regular posts that include discussions on problems (user difficulty, bugs or otherwise).

If you make "spyware" or "adware" one of the keywords, that might change the results of how Windows fares.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Newbie
    If you make "spyware" or "adware" one of the keywords, that might change the results of how Windows fares.
    That's why I installed Linux in my box. There's no safer way to access the net

But there are specific issues like hardware driver support (eg. which distro has less problems hooking up a modem or downloading images from any digital camera etc...) to allow full migration. SEARCH: distro name linux modem problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3