1 8.33%
  • FreeBSD

1 8.33%
  • RedHat

0 0%
  • Other

8 66.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I'm assuming this question is what's the best desktop distro for a novice user. I think the absolute best is any roll your own style ditro like Arch, Gentoo, or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

I'm assuming this question is what's the best desktop distro for a novice user.

I think the absolute best is any roll your own style ditro like Arch, Gentoo, or Slackware that an experienced user integrates to someone's specific needs. The speed will be unrivaled thanks to minimal cruft, the interface will be minimalistic and thus easier, plus it helps build community strength (in a regional sense).

But if a novice user must install from scratch, then I think Mepis (an in the future Beatrix) are hard to touch. The install is a snap, the defaults are sane, and the installation footprint is reasonably small. For people who know a bit more already, Libranet, Ubuntu, and Vector stand on just about even ground, I think.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    I wouldn't really be asking if I weren't making a website about this. I hate to be a bother but I really just want to hear a few different opinions on various desktop 'nixes.

(As a sidenote, whenever I install BSD I have to download the NIC driver seperately and install it because the one that comes with it doesn't seem to work, even though the numbers match. Its annoying but its worth it.)

SCO
    Just Joined!
    FreeBSD (damm fast on i686, runs quake 3a better than it does in linux) or SuSE.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Best desktop linux.

I started using Fedora linux as my first ever *NIX OS. It was a great OS and all, but not as good as Gentoo. I installed Gentoo on three PCs and a Macintosh, each having substantially different harware configurations, and they all ran faster on Gentoo than any other OS I've tried. The best thing I like about Gentoo is Portage, it's a great time saver. Installation is a bit tricky unless you have a basic idea of what the hell you're doing, even a ralative "n00b" can get Gentoo up and running in under two hours. I did actually try Mandriva (back when it was called Mandrake) 10 on one of my computers and didn't even get video, I haven't been particularly interested in that distro since then .

Hope I was helpful in some way.

I didn't vote, since there is no "best" desktop/OS/car/religion/government/ice cream/programming language/pet/job/etc for everyone. The best desktop for you is what works best for you, and that's almost guaranteed to be different for everyone.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Holy crap, I just read your review on Ubuntu, bahahah

Quote Originally Posted by SCO
    Holy crap, I just read your review on Ubuntu, bahahah
    I'm always glad to see my reviews taken as they were intended: with a generous sense of humor.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I voted "Other" For a novice, I would recommend SUSE. For someone more experienced, Gentoo. Gentoo is a little harder to configure, ok alot harder to configure. But once it is conigured, it is a great distro.
    As mentioned before, it is all personal taste.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Guru
    this has been covered 100 times before... look at the which distro poll in the coffee lounge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2