1 8.33%
  • FreeBSD

1 8.33%
  • RedHat

0 0%
  • Other

8 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What do you think is the best 'nix OS for day to day desktop computing? EG, Net surfing, videos, photos, etc... With FreeBSD it can be a pain to configure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Desktop 'Nix

What do you think is the best 'nix OS for day to day desktop computing? EG, Net surfing, videos, photos, etc...

With FreeBSD it can be a pain to configure X and networking, but it makes a marvelous desktop because of its speed, and well, I just kind of like it. The installer keeps changing from releae to release though, what a pain.

RedHat is easier to configure than any other OS I've used, which is a plus, and it supports just about any conceivable bit of hardware imaginable, the downside is that its somewhat slower than BSD and takes up a large amount of room.

Fedora can be installed by an idiot, and its free.

Debian is too big for most people

Novell Linux doesn't cost much ($50.00) and its from Novell. What more could you ask for.

I've heard some good things about PC Linux OS, it comes on a live CD so you don't have to install it to find out if you like it, so that's a plus

Never tried Mandriva (I hate calling it that) or Xandros but I hear they're pretty good.

Sorry for leaving out some of the mainstream distros.

Linux Engineer
    The best one is the one you like, use and works well. The poll is pointless.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux Enthusiast
    Its all up to the individual.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    scm
    Linux Engineer
    Novell Linux doesn't cost much ($50.00) and its from Novell. What more could you ask for.
    Er, something that isn't from Novell?

anything graphical to set up, has openoffice, an email client, music player and a webbrowser is good enough for me.
    anything from suse/mandrake/xandros/dsl etc
    think its more a matter of preference than a factual 'this is better than that' to be honest.
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Linux Engineer
    I voted mandriva for a simle and easy to setup desktop distro, but I can't comment distro/*nix I haven't tryed, so it's not sure it's the best

Just Joined!
    Slackware,

However I am bais since that is the only one I have used

Linux Engineer

Re: Best Desktop 'Nix

Just a few comments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbackwardz
    With FreeBSD it can be a pain to configure X and networking, but it makes a marvelous desktop because of its speed, and well, I just kind of like it. The installer keeps changing from releae to release though, what a pain.
    Networking is FreeBSD's strongpoint. I'd argue it's actually quite easy to configure networking on FreeBSD, especially with all of the NICs that are supported. Plus if you're using DHCP, this shouldn't be a problem.

The FreeBSD installer hasn't changed much at all in the past few releases - it's always had a curses-based menu interface and all of the steps have been pretty much the same: partitioning, slicing, selecting the components of the base system, selecting the installation medium, configuring the system, installing 3rd party applications. The only thing that's changed really is that you no longer can configure X in the installation, which may be a bit inconvenient in some situations.

PC-BSD might be a better FreeBSD-based desktop solution, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbackwardz
    Debian is too big for most people
    The Debian Sarge "netinst" CD is quite small, and after installing the base Debian system, you shouldn't have any more used space than any other GNU/Linux distribution.

Anyways, as others have suggested, it's simply a matter of personal preference. I prefer a BSD operating system as a desktop system in most cases, though Debian's apt-get and large, supportive community is quite appealing for a desktop, IMO.

Linux User
    Didn't vote. I mainly use Fedora, easy to setup and use, but I also have Slackware installed, harder to setup and use. I think that whatever distro someone is using at present is probably going to get their vote.
    registered linux user: 387197

If you are an somewhat experienced *NIX user ArchLinux is a nice distro for desktop purposes as well. Has all the latest major window managers and desktop environments as well as speed. It requires knowledge about managing text config files. It has an excellent package manager called pacman and a good packagebuild tool. The repositories seems to have almost anything you want and there is an excellent facility for user contributed packages.

Their forums on the other hand are quiet and a lot of users went away from there. So the community feeling is not that good, but that can change

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast