Find the answer to your Linux question:
Seems there's a new one that locks up your data by encrypting it. A ransome note is also displayed that tells you to send in 200 bucks to a specified ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Viruses hit the big time (crime that is).

Seems there's a new one that locks up your data by encrypting it. A ransome note is also displayed that tells you to send in 200 bucks to a specified account to receive the keys to unlock your data.

This guy wasn't too bright as monetary transactions can be easily traced. But it does give rise to some troubling issues with how users interact with the Internet these days.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    Yeah I read this earlier too. It's a novel idea but would be really hard to execute properly without getting caught.

ahhhhh, they refered to these people as hackers again. it pisses me of how this movement to catagorize all hackers as being CRACKERS and make everyone think that hacking is bad.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    ahhhhh, they refered to these people as hackers again. it pisses me of how this movement to catagorize all hackers as being CRACKERS and make everyone think that hacking is bad.
    Exactly. At every mention of 'hacker' the general public thinks of script kiddies, stealing credit card numbers, breaking into corporate networks, etc etc.
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.

its obviously a ploy by microsoft to make it sound as if anyone trying to make things better is actualy trying to steal your money and hack your data. linux was basicly built by hackers and microsoft will do anything to prolong the inevitable.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux User
    Heh... another Microsoft's doc
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.