Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys. After reading one o the threads here i've been thinking of trying a new distro. I mean there's so many linux distributions i cant choose. Theres even that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recommend a distro here!

Hi guys. After reading one o the threads here i've been thinking of trying a new distro. I mean there's so many linux distributions i cant choose. Theres even that fox linux released yesterday! It seems like the majority uses Fedora/Redhat, what about Ubuntu Linux? Anyone tried it? I need ure recomendations before choosing the distro to install! I dont like the live cd's plus Im tired of formating and installing. Im currently on Redhat 9.

the only real way of knowing is trial and error

i would probably not recommend Mandrake as a proper home users' distro but as a fiddlers' distro.

only one reason for saying that.
    it will not let me compile whatsoever!
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

There are tons of distros, and none is the right one or most-popular.

There are a couple good new-user distros, though I personally recommend SuSE for new users. Its package management system is awesome, it's easy to install, and it is extremely stable.

Another popular new-user one is Mandriva, which I had used in the past. I had a few glitches, so I switched out.

As far as Fedora Core, my experience with them has not been good. Back in Redhat, the OpenOffice.org didn't work, and in Fedora, I kept freezing and crashing. If you can get it to work, it looks like a pretty professional-looking distro, but I don't really like it.

Another popular distro is Debian, which is easy to get new apps for, through use of a utility called apt-get. Unfortunately, the install is really long, and there's a lot of manual package selection, which gets really boring. You also have to do your own partitioning, which some new users don't like.

Anyway, chances are you'll switch distros many times during your Linux life. I'm on my 5th I believe, and I'm quite happy over here in Gentoo. But I woudn't necessarily recommend it for a new user.

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Your talking about debian's old installer, with sarge it uses a improved version with better hardware detection. If you've tried Ubuntu, that's the installer it uses:

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

what were the glitches in Mandriva?

i am currently having problems with it
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I agree with techieMoe.

www.distrowatch.com
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Engineer
    http://shots.osdir.com will give you screenshots of the install/config etc, but as mentioned you find lots of info on distrowatch.com...