Find the answer to your Linux question:
i could never quite figure this out, so maybe someone can explain it to me. how on earth can you connect to an idividual computer if its on a private ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

how exactly do IP addresses work

i could never quite figure this out, so maybe someone can explain it to me. how on earth can you connect to an idividual computer if its on a private network. for example, my computers ip is a 192.168.0.100, and im certain that more than 1 person has that IP address, yet people can still connect to my computer (as a game server). ive read into IP addresses quite deeply, into the binary and what all that crap means, the different classes and how the hosts/computers are set up in each one. however i still dont get how you can connect to the an IP adress if someone else has the same one, unless your on my home network, which none of you are. then theres the net IP. i have no idea how thats broken down, or its purpose, but i believe thats the one that is unique to each network. in a nutshell, how would i remote-desktop to my computer from school?.

thx

Banned

Re: how exactly do IP addresses work

Quote Originally Posted by *DEAD*
    i could never quite figure this out, so maybe someone can explain it to me. how on earth can you connect to an idividual computer if its on a private network. for example, my computers ip is a 192.168.0.100, and im certain that more than 1 person has that IP address, yet people can still connect to my computer (as a game server). ive read into IP addresses quite deeply, into the binary and what all that crap means, the different classes and how the hosts/computers are set up in each one. however i still dont get how you can connect to the an IP adress if someone else has the same one, unless your on my home network, which none of you are. then theres the net IP. i have no idea how thats broken down, or its purpose, but i believe thats the one that is unique to each network. in a nutshell, how would i remote-desktop to my computer from school?.

thx
    that ip you listed is an internal ip
    that is for like you said within your house/network and you will be able to connect to it from there but only there

you will have an external ip
    which is the one for outside
    that is the one you need to connect from othe places eg games etc etc

if you want to remote desktop from school you need to
    1)install the relevent program for example VNC or ssh
    2) make sure the ports they use are open
    3) get your external ip
    4) go to the school computer
    5) install the cliant of the program in 1 for example vncviewer
    6) enter your external ip (doesnt ever start with 192)
    7) done

Linux Newbie
    i have 15 computers on my network (2 are mine for use, 10 im renting as cs servers, and my family has 3). will that client allow me to choose which one.
    do u know if knoppix has a client built into it by anychance, last time i had to install something i had a sploit, but the admin fixed that and i havent been able to gain root again (and they changed the passes again). thx