Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
LMAO! This has been a good machine. Just replaced the dinky 200W power supply as the old one was getting rather erratic. Not bad for a machine that's over 6 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

LMAO! This has been a good machine. Just replaced the dinky 200W power supply as the old one was getting rather erratic. Not bad for a machine that's over 6 years old. The distro I'm running on this beast has definitely breathed new life into it.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by retired1af
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    IMO bottom = Sempron/Celeron/standard P4, mid = Athlon 64/P4 6 series, high = FX/Opteron/Xeon
    So what the does that make my poor ol' PIII 450 with just 192 MB of RAM?
    If you want to run Longhorn, that makes it a doorstop.
    Doorstop sounds nice. The nice shiny Longhorn CDs might even make excellent coasters....but then again, I probably wouldn't want to see "Windows Longhorn" everytime I put my drink down...

Quote Originally Posted by soulbrothax831
    ...I probably wouldn't want to see "Windows Longhorn" everytime I put my drink down...
    Is that the official name, or have they even got it working to the point where they're changing from the codename to something else? I know MS Windows XP was codenamed "Whistler". Is "longhorn" going to be renamed to something... perhaps "Super-fantastic Windows EX Alpha II: The Word Warrior?"
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    ...I probably wouldn't want to see "Windows Longhorn" everytime I put my drink down...
    Is that the official name, or have they even got it working to the point where they're changing from the codename to something else? I know MS Windows XP was codenamed "Whistler". Is "longhorn" going to be renamed to something... perhaps "Super-fantastic Windows EX Alpha II: The Word Warrior?"
    Haha, that would be a great name. They'll only need to add in the Street Fighter characters as a marketing scheme and that baby will sell!

Haha, that would be a great name. They'll only need to add in the Street Fighter characters as a marketing scheme and that baby will sell!
    How about throwing in Street Fighter sound effects for the system. Such as when a CD get done burning have Dhalsim say: "CD Burned." Or when you get a reminder from Outlook about a meeting have Ryu say: "To-DO-ken!" Wow. I'm really bored today. Haha.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Getting back to the original point, I SEVERELY doubt that a 2TB HD would be required to install Longhorn. Think of how many disks you would need to install something that big. And, I've also seen the new WinHEC beta of Longhorn, it looks good, but driver support for anything is worse than Linux support for the USB modems I pick :P.
    And its slow on an XP 2700 system.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdodd13
    Getting back to the original point, I SEVERELY doubt that a 2TB HD would be required to install Longhorn.
    I agree completely. Those numbers are just ludicrous. There's no way Microsoft would shoot themselves in the foot by requiring that everyone they've sold service contracts to upgrade every single piece of hardware they have. That's just bad business. Many companies refused to even upgrade to XP when it came out, and they still run WindowsNT. Microsoft would have a hell of a time trying to convince these people they needed all new servers and workstations for the latest and greatest from Redmond.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Maybe they should rename longhorn to: Internet Explorer 7

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by SCO
    Maybe they should rename longhorn to: Internet Explorer 7
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

the only way i am going to run 'longhorn' on any of my machines, is if they street fighter market. lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast