Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by techieMoe There's no way Microsoft would shoot themselves in the foot that has never stopped MS before...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    There's no way Microsoft would shoot themselves in the foot
    that has never stopped MS before
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    There's no way Microsoft would shoot themselves in the foot
    that has never stopped MS before
    Ok. Point taken. If they do actually encourage those ludicrous requirements they're only going to speed the adoption of Linux and other operating systems because the majority of companies out there (and companies are Microsoft's biggest consumers) are not going to have the capital (or the interest) to invest in completely new hardware across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs
    "Prepare the ship for light speed!"
    --"No, no, no, light speed is too slow."
    "Light speed too slow?!"
    --"Prepare the ship for LUDICROUS SPEED!"
    "Ludicrous speed? Sir, we've never gone that fast
    before. I don't know if this ship can take it."
    --What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz, chicken?"
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Actually, I hope that the minimum requirements would be that high. Then all my buddys would have to use two videocards, 16 dual-core CPU's and 3 TB of RAM, while I own a pentium3 736MHz box with 256 MB RAM and still my box would run smoother then their ugly longhorn monsters lol
    I second that , however by the time longhorn is released, linux will probably be running the world desktop computers. One can only dream....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Meh.. it's late at night and my thoughts are scattered.

I read up about longhorn a while ago on wikipedia (and probably a few other sites I can't remember at the moment). I think I remember hearing something about multiple runlevels of window management that reserved the most powerful features for high end machines but made it usable on normal computers.

It is also going to have a new API for its GUI, a supposedly usable command line shell, piping heavily integrated with .NET, and an implementation for the first phase of TCPA. Now, my impression is that this operating system will be quite decent and possibly feature-filled, yet at the same time will not neglect the bugs and BS that you have come to expect for your money. I think it may hurt the Linux community because it will be less sucky then XP (even if it's more evil).
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

On the other hand, I could use this to convince my parents to buy me a 1 TB hd.

"Hey dad, I decided to switch back to Windows, despite my known, total hatred of Microsoft."
    "Really? That's kinda interesting..."
    "Yeah. Only problem is that Longhorn needs a 1 TB hard drive to run. And don't you want me to have all the security updatest that it is sure to provide?"
    "Good point."

Ha. That would be fun. It would take 3 days to partition, then I could happily run Gentoo.

w00+.

After reading up more on longhorn, it is starting to sound more like a unix based system to me. Avalon (the new graphical engine) sounds a lot like X, then the WinFS system seems to be similar to Reiser etc.

I think Microsoft is simply trying to make a closed source unix based system cos they realise that it will be more stable and cheaper as they can screw smalll developers apps by bolting it onto the new version of windows.

microsoft

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Workaphobia
    TCPA
    decent

piping heavily integrated with .NET
    it now looks like .net will not be as important
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1820686,00.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    the WinFS system seems to be similar to Reiser etc.
    MS has said the it will not ship with the new file system, and they don't have a time frame when it will be ready.

I think what this is showing is the MS is finally on the trip down. Just think of the amount of growth and changes that new windows used to be. win95--->win98--->win2000, there were some large/important changes. What have they done since then? (winxp is win2000 made pretty)..... They have a new OS that is still atleast one year away from release (I am betting on late! 2006), and there seems to be nothing new about it. They no longer have new ideas, they drag along, as all bloated bureaucracies do.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

(I am betting on late! 2006)
    You think it will be out that soon. Late 2016 maybe.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Quote:
    (I am betting on late! 2006)
    You think it will be out that soon. Late 2016 maybe.
    Isnt that a little pessimistic. I say longhorn will be out somewhere around 2010 as the system that microsoft is trying to sell and market to us now. Sure something may be released by 2006-2007, but it will be like XP for idiots and not the longhorn microsoft will have us believe that it is making.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast