Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
i read in APC mag (dunno what it stands for) here in Australia and it listed the system requirements for Longhorn (m$'s new OS) (hasnt come out yet)( ) the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Longhorn (the OS M$ is working on)

i read in APC mag (dunno what it stands for) here in Australia and it listed the system requirements for Longhorn (m$'s new OS) (hasnt come out yet)( )

the system requirements were SO high that i almost fainted (not really )
    it was something like a 2TB hdd, a absolute max video card, and i think that it needed to be in a Dual processor system.

these claims is what i remember off the top of my head. Dont take my word for it!
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Just Joined!
    I actually read an article in, I think, CPU, stating that Longhorn would be backwards compatible with 32bit chips, so I cant imagine they would just jump straight to dual core only. But, you never know.... maybe Bill invested heavily in Intel recently, and knows something we dont

Linux Newbie
    according to microsoft-watch.com those are the recommended requirements (didn't see anything about minium) but wouldn't be great if those where the minium requirements? people would be switching over to linux more because the newest m$ os cann't run on their machine.

actualy I heard that m$ was working on a version for old hardware because they were losing to linux in this field. maybe it will turn out to be as pathetic as that basic (I forget the proper title) windows that restricted the users to 640x480 and 3 simutanous programs running at the most.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    if m$ did do a old hardware version of Window$,
    - the background would be gray (classic Win3.1)
    - it would be just about identical to win98 SE (highly dodgy)
    - it would have WPA (windows product activation)
    - it would crash every time you tried to put third party software on it (eg, Firefox, Openoffice.org)
    - nuclear waste would be legal in every state that this version of Window$ existed
    - the outbreak of bird flu will sweep the world

sorry for blabbling on (even that doesnt make sense)

APC stands for Australian Personal Computer. However, i prefer to read PC Authority.

In an recent issue of PC authority, they "claim" that Longhorn should be able to run decently on what is considered a mid spec system today i.e. Athlon 64 3200, 1 gig RAM, GeForce 5xxx series card (6xxx is recommended) oh and like 10 gigs disk space for windows installation.

But, by the time longhorn is released, the above system will be considered bottom end i.e. junk.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    APC stands for Australian Personal Computer. However, i prefer to read PC Authority.

In an recent issue of PC authority, they "claim" that Longhorn should be able to run decently on what is considered a mid spec system today i.e. Athlon 64 3200, 1 gig RAM, GeForce 5xxx series card (6xxx is recommended) oh and like 10 gigs disk space for windows installation.

But, by the time longhorn is released, the above system will be considered bottom end i.e. junk.
    thats mid end? bloody hell, im thinking thats a bloody good system
    mines terrible in comparison, but then hey, do you need that much oomph to email, surf and word process?
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

I thought a good system was something like a FX-55 with 6800 Ultras in SLI configuration

Quote Originally Posted by cayalee
    but then hey, do you need that much oomph to email, surf and word process?
    well, we are talking about the next generation of windows arent we?

IMO bottom = Sempron/Celeron/standard P4, mid = Athlon 64/P4 6 series, high = FX/Opteron/Xeon

lets say...

... the a Linux distro meant for the lastest computers is released at the same time as Longhorn

what would the specs be, and would their seperate computers or filesystems "talk" to each other?

Linux Engineer
    IMO bottom = Sempron/Celeron/standard P4, mid = Athlon 64/P4 6 series, high = FX/Opteron/Xeon
    So what the does that make my poor ol' PIII 450 with just 192 MB of RAM?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Quote Originally Posted by retired1af
    So what the does that make my poor ol' PIII 450 with just 192 MB of RAM?
    If you want to run Longhorn, that makes it a doorstop.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast