Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
[quote][Failed attempt at world peace/quote] lol. That's good stuff. I agree with the sudo and not exiting x-windows arguments, but I haven't had any "serious" problems while using ubuntu...though I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[quote][Failed attempt at world peace/quote]

lol. That's good stuff. I agree with the sudo and not exiting x-windowsarguments, but I haven't had any "serious" problems while using ubuntu...though I still prefer running Arch

The nvidia drivers are easy to install just apt-cache search nvidia and apt-get what you need (the driver is nvidia-glx). And here is a guide I found from my first search http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/BinaryDriverHowto tells you how to get all cards woking. I think a problem people are having is they are not using a universal repos.

And also I dont think techieMoe gave it enogth of a chance im supprised he couldnt get the 3d drivers working plus what distro ships with propriatory binary drivers? You can also get out of X by breaking the config file logging out and doing ctrl+alt+backspace then the server will fail to start again i know it a bit of a hack. Maybe its kbuntu specific since i use Ubuntu and I noticed none of the problems he seems to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    And also I dont think techieMoe gave it enogth of a chance im supprised he couldnt get the 3d drivers working plus what distro ships with propriatory binary drivers?
    Linspire and Xandros ship with proprietary drivers (ATI and Nvidia) and will even install them for you. Given, I didn't give it an awful lot of work, but the purpose of that review was just to share my experience. If you want a FAIR and BALANCED review, look at MadPenguin.

You can also get out of X by breaking the config file and doing ctrl+alt+backspace then the server will fail to start again i know it a bit of a hack. Maybe its kbuntu specific since i use Ubuntu and I noticed none of the problems he seems to have.
    I had these exact same problems with Ubuntu 4, I simply didn't feel like writing a review for it. My problems may be specific to my particular machine, but not to KUbuntu. My reviews are meant to be read with a sense of humor. If you don't share mine, don't read them.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    you never tried hard enough
    sudo
    is the command u were looking for

Linux Newbie
    mine hatred too for kUbuntu .
    I installed it but the damn Os didnt even recoginised my Display Hardware n gave me a resolution of 640 x 400
    I tried every single possible solution from editing xorgconfig to reinstalling it again but none woked out either.
    mine was Intel845 chipset n i noted many user with this chipset had problems with this.
    well next nothing happened becoz u cant work with such a hellish display n switched to fedora .

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't really understand the Ubuntu/Kubuntu craze, having played around with both of them a number of times since their birth. For some reason, I can't stick with either of them for long... they just don't feel right to me.

However, I have no major complaints about either of them so I'm happy they exist for those that do like them.

Linux Newbie
    i like ubuntu, never heard of kubuntu, ubuntu is a good looking enviroment and distro. The only thing i dont like is the install and all the extras that come with it.
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_dressed_in_black
    sudo
    is the command u were looking for
    *best Obi-Wan Kenobi voice*
    "These are not the commands you're looking for."
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Never tried kubuntu (and hopefully never will), but I have tried ubuntu, had it on my harddrive for maybe two weeks... It's OK, but lots of sucky stuff. The communists forced everybody to support their thoughts, and so did the ubuntu developers. They beleve that you should never have to touch a terminal, so therefore they lock you inside X with (almost?) no possibilitys of getting out. Also, they disable most of the respiratories for APT by default, and locks out the root user? What kind of moron(s) would do that? But everybody has his own taste, right?

PS: Like your review techieMoe :P

Just Joined!
    A good way to think about Ubuntu is a Debian that's kept up to date and has an additional option that gives you a more straight-foward install. (you can still do the technical "server" Debian-style install if you wish)

I think most of the complaints stem from people not being used to it compared to other distros. Several times in this thread it's mentioned how you can't use the dos-style terminal. It was mentioned in the first thread that you can't crash Xserver. It's easy as hell to crash it, actually. Make the slightest typopin the xorg file and trust me, you will not get into Xserver.

But forget that, just hit ctrl+alt+F2 any time and you're set... I think this is an issue of you not knowing of this command...

As for the vid-card drivers, it's very easy, you just select them in Synaptic. and install. The Debian package system is great.

I havn't seen many more specific complaints here, just general "ubuntu is communist and it's for newsbs" ones.

PS: check out #26 here: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...3,pg,12,00.asp

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast