Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by Curlydave I think most of the complaints stem from people not being used to it compared to other distros. True, and I'm quite sure there are ways ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave
    I think most of the complaints stem from people not being used to it compared to other distros.
    True, and I'm quite sure there are ways to get around the problems I had. The thing is, not every distro will fit everyone's needs and Ubuntu simply isn't worth the effort IMO. To each their own.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Re: (K)Ubuntu - my hatred for the 'world peace' distro

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGerbil
    I heard alot about ubuntu and i decided to try it, but i found it infuriating.
    I switched from Gentoo (before that: Mandrake - SuSE - RedHat) and I love Ubuntu.

Now that said i will continue I downloaded it (only 1 cd .... nothing except the GUI and OpenOffice) to get extra programs it will need to kill your network connection and download the packages required, which if your like me is quite a few.
    As opposed to having to download 4 ISO's, this is still very good.

Thee are NVidia drivers on the reposiory but they don't seem to help alot, so i downloaded the Official drivers and
    They worked fine on the 3 systems I installed Ubuntu...

to my horror i could not get into the shell, hmmm not a good feature in my opinion. And it is bloody too stable to i could not crash the Xserver to get into it and install the drivers.
    CTRL-ALT-F1, log in as your user, sudo su -

Also i tried to get access to the root user to install some stuff - Another feature they disable how can you disable the bloody root user in linux?? it is easy to get around but i don't like it all the same.
    Because they are pushing the use of sudo, which is clearly stated in the wiki.

In my opinion the Distro is crap. for a new user it will not let you learn alot about linux becuase it is like a 'sandbox' linux where you are sheilded away from everything possible. Unless there is a program you want in the repository there is not alot you can do, even when you do download a program you have to go into the repository to download the compilers needed and still i had trouble finding the headers i needed for alot of the programs i tried. Overall i hated this distro and i would recommend it to no1
    You are not shielded from anything. I do not get that statement.
    aptitude install build-essentials will get you a compile environment. I have hand-built package on Ubuntu without a problem. The dev stuff is just not installed by default.

Linux Newbie
    The more I hear about Ubuntu, the more I think it sounds like Windows, this being based on the fact it does not give you full control of the system and "protects" from anything you might want to change.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gu174r.fr34k
    I'm glad i'm not the only one that dosn't like ubuntu. Not being able to use su was enough to bug me.
    could you not use alias to link su to sudo?

also GrumpyGerbil not being able to install the nvidia driver or close x shows a severe lack of knowledge on your end, after all this is an easy distro not somthing like gentoo so its not that hard... ctrl - alt - backspace anyone? also ive tried every distro you can name and have found none as flexiable for my machines as ubuntu, debian package base with the ability to run on anything from my old ass 500mhz celeron to my new amd 2800+ system, hell even the function keys worked on my toshiba tecra straight out of the box... sorry but i cannot stand when people rant about problems that dont exist.....

Linux Newbie
    I tried Ubuntu a month or so ago, It was on my hard drive for less than 2 days. I tried installing it again (with the misson to run apt-get dist-upgrade with debian sid repos). The last time I did it, it didnt prompt me once for a root password during install, which was quite weird, so I couldnt do anything as root. First time I installed it, I had to configure X manually. If this isnt a linux newbie off-putter, what is? My theory is, Ubuntu is over-hyped because it's based on debian, and it's got Gnome 2.10, and KDE 3.4 (Kubuntu, you can get it on ubuntu though with synaptic). People seem to think Ubuntu has all the features of Debian, with updated packages, this is not true, I had dependency hell in Ubuntu. Half of the unstable sources that I tried from http://apt-get.org didnt work. Debian isnt perfect and In my opinion I think Ubuntu's community is alot nicer, and helpful than Debian's. But seriously I don't think Ubuntu should be #1 on distrowatch.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenon
    The more I hear about Ubuntu, the more I think it sounds like Windows, this being based on the fact it does not give you full control of the system and "protects" from anything you might want to change.
    That's a little backwards isn't it? Windows by default gives you full access to your system. You have to create your own account with limited priviledges after the install to not have full access.

Ubuntu does give you full control of the system. Just not with root. Sudo let's you do anything that root could do. It just makes you think a little more about what you are doing. That is what is so good for newbies. A lot of newbies (that are used to Windows mind you) will stay in root forever and simply type any command they please. With sudo, at least, when they type the command they have to precede it with sudo which makes them think "This command requires me to have root privileges. Should I be doing this?".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenon
    The more I hear about Ubuntu, the more I think it sounds like Windows
    If Windows is as good as Ubuntu, I might actually start using it(Windows).
    Nha, Pease try it before making statements like that.
    Ubuntu is a fine distro.

Just Joined!

Re: (K)Ubuntu - my hatred for the 'world peace' distro

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGerbil
    I also wanted Koffice,which is not in there repository
    It's in the Universe Repository. Seriously, try to read some documentation before making assumptions. Visit UbuntuGuide.org. That will give you almost everything you need.

Quote Originally Posted by somuchfortheafter
    could you not use alias to link su to sudo?
    That defeats the purpose. The idea is having real su access, not making an alias to sudo. There are some things you cannot do as sudo that you can as su.

also GrumpyGerbil not being able to install the nvidia driver or close x shows a severe lack of knowledge on your end, after all this is an easy distro not somthing like gentoo so its not that hard... ctrl - alt - backspace anyone?
    This shows severe lack of reading the thread. If you had you might have seen that CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE does nothing in Ubuntu unless you purposefully break your X configuration and cause it to error out. Also, were I GrumpyGerbil I would take offense to your commenting on his intelligence.

sorry but i cannot stand when people rant about problems that dont exist.....
    Sorry, but I cannot stand when people troll about things of which they have no knowledge. If Ubuntu works on your system, great, but don't just wave your hand and say "the problems you had on your system do not exist." Unless you've actually used our systems you cannot know whether or not the problems we have actually occurred. (Hint: they did, otherwise we wouldn't be mentioning them)
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Tech: the point is that most of his complaints come from lack of reading the documentation, (eg, not getting multiverse repository support) which clearly points out the solutions to his problems.

i'll say it again: ctrl+alt+f2 will kick you out of Xserver, as will doing anything wrong at all in the xorg file

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast